Question New build stopped working after a few hours. Lights on CPU, DRAM, VGA. Reboots itself every 15 sec. No display on both GPU and Mobo.

Sep 12, 2024
CPU : I5-13600K
Mobo : MSI MAG B760 GAMING WIFI
RAM : 32GB (2x16) DDR5 6000 MHz CL30

Hello,

I built my first PC and everything worked fine for a few hours until I changed my monitor settings to disable Smart HDR. The moment I clicked on "off" I lost signal and the monitor suddenly didn't recognize my PC. The DP cable works.

I rebooted the computer but it kept rebooting every 15 sec. It starts with the CPU on red for about 1 sec and turns off, then goes to orange on the DRAM for about 1 sec and turns off, then to white on VGA for about 3 sec and turns off, then no light for about 10 sec and it reboots. The fans are turning but the RGB lights do not (there's a green dot for half a second but that's it).

When I spam the Delete key, my PC doesn't reboot and it seems I get access to the BIOS, but since I have no display I can't see what I'm doing.

When I boot without RAM I have the DRAM led staying on and the PC doesn't reboot. No beeping sound at all. When I put one RAM stick on the first slot closest to the CPU the PC doesn't boot at all, as if the PSU is dead. Still no display in all these instances.

I have tried
- Removing the CMOS battery and wait for 30 min
- Shorting the pins
- Booting with 1 RAM stick
- Booting without RAM
- Booting without GPU
- Plugging CPU_POWER2
- Checking for loose cables and RAM
- Plugging the GPU on a different PCI5 slot

Note that I did change the RAM frequency and went from 4200 to 6000 MHz. This was done a few hours prior to my problem and I did reboot the PC to confirm the BIOS change with no issue.

Any idea? I'm getting desperate...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

In order to clear your CMOS, you disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

Booting with 1 RAM stick
Using slot A2?

Plugging CPU_POWER2
This wasn't connected prior?

You might want to drop your processor onto a known working motherboard and see if the issue persists.

Reactions: idkman2
Sep 12, 2024
Thank you for your reply. All the components are brand new, I received them off Amazon last Saturday and built the PC on Monday. And it died on the same day.

I did clear the CMOS correctly.

I did put the RAM stick on slot A2 with no luck.

Plugging the CPU_POWER2 was not necessary on my board model. But I did increase the RAM frequency to 6000 MHz prior to plugging the CPU_POWER2 cable. I'm not sure if that counts as overclocking... ?

I have never had a PC before, only laptops, so I have no other components to test.

Jul 22, 2024
Hi I am an old school PC builder. Kindly provide all components of your system as requested. It will be easier to help with troubleshooting. 2 sticks of DDR5 RAM should be installed in slots A2 and B2 according to the motherboard manual. For initial setup you should run the motherboard with default settings. Check All components that they are seated and installed correctly. Resetting the CMOS will default those settings. Check your display cable at your GPU and at the monitor that it is fitted correctly . Its HDMI? If possible try it with another monitor or TV if available to see if you get an initial display e.g. your MSI splash screen to see if it will POST (power on self test). There are people here who are expert builders and can provide your solution to get your new PC up and running. All the best

Reactions: idkman2
Sep 12, 2024
CPU : I5-13600K
Mobo : MSI MAG B760 GAMING WIFI
RAM : 32GB (2x16) DDR5 6000 MHz CL30
GPU : 4060 Ti 16GB
PSU : MSI MAG 850GL
SSD : NVME PCIE5 2 Tb
Case : Montech 903 Base
I use DisplayPort, not HDMI (Monitor didn't come with a HDMI cable, but I also tested DisplayPort to USB-C with no success)

Thank you for your reply, digitaldata77.

- The sticks are indeed in the right slots
- I did not reseat the CPU nor the motherboard, but all the other cables are seated correctly. Tomorrow I will remove out the motherboard to check for any short circuit problem and reseat the CPU
- I did reset the CMOS by removing the battery for about 30 min, but I will do it again and leave it out overnight.
- I do not have another monitor. No TV either... But if nothing works I'll buy a second monitor.

I'll update my situation tomorrow (I'm from Europe)!

Have a great day,

Jul 22, 2024
You have a really good system i hope you can get it running soon. Please post your results and if you discovered the issue, kindly share with others here. What type of CPU cooler are you using? Thanks and Cheers from Canada.