Question New build strange behaviour

Orazio Contarino

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I have recently bought motherboard + ram + cpu.
I'm facing the following issues:
  1. When i try to shutdown or reboot via GUI (windows -> shutdown/reboot) or even via terminal (shutdown -s -t 0 or shutdown -r -t 0) it stay "idle", doing nothing for at least 15 seconds (as if i've never requested the shutdown/reboot action).
    After that time, Windows 10 show the blue screen that says "Rebooting" or "Shuting down" and it works as usually.
    What is it doing in the "idle" time?
    Windows 10 have never do that with my old pc build (i7 3770).
  2. When i connect my sata external sata drive (Aukey usb3 hdd 2.5" external drive usb3.0) to usb 3.1gen1, windows start to connect and disconnect the usb (keeps playing the "blimp" sound).
    If i connect an usb 3.0 pendrive to motherboard usb3.1gen1 ports, it works well.
    If i connect an external sata drive usb3.1 to motherboard usb3.1 it works well.
    If i connect my external sata drive usb3.0 to any other usb2.0 ports it works well.
    It seems that my motherboard usb3.1gen1 is not able to detect any external usb3.0 sata drive.
  3. Yesterday, while playing COD Warzone, it started to play the "blimp" sound of "connect/disconnect device".
    There was only mouse, keyboard and microphone usb devices attached to the motherboard.
    Then i closed the game, reopened and the "blimp" sound stopped.
I have formatted ssd after hardware upgrade (from i7 3770 to ryzen5 3600).
So i have a clean installed Windows 10 with latest available updates installed.
I have also installed latest chipset (both tries, from gigabyte and from aorus site).
I have updated the bios to F51 (latest one available for my motherboard).
I have sent mail to gigabyte support about question 2, they tried my b450m and the issue has not occurred (b450m has different bios firmware so maybe this the problem? Ticket still opened)

No idea on what i can still try to solve this problems.

My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Elite
RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3600 [8GB x 2]
PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
HDD1: WD 1TB 3.5” 5200 RPM
HDD2: WD 2TB 3.5” 5200 RPM

reset the BIOS and try again

Is the reboot time 10 seconds if the HDDs are disconnected as well?

check if the ATX I7O shield is correctly in place

Are all standoffs correctly installed in the case for the new motherboard?

Do you connect the USB to the motherboard directly or the front panel of the case?
check cabling of the case

install latest AMD chipset drivers from AMD.com
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
1. Microsoft has a timer for unresponsive programs etc at shutdown.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...-restart-shut-down-sign-out-windows-10-a.html
Think I have mine set at 2 secs.
At that first step where you find
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop AutoEndTasks"
you also find HungAppTimeOut. I have mine set at 2000 so it is in milliseconds.

USB stuff could be because USB devices are not provided with enough power. Test a powered USB hub if you have one.

Orazio Contarino

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
@helpstar
what do you mean for "reset the BIOS"? how should i do that?
Regard your questions:
  1. Question] Is the reboot time 10 seconds if the HDDs are disconnected as well?
    Answer] Which HDDs? The external ones?
    If so, yes, it occourres too when i have connected to motherboard usb only mouse, keyboard and microfone.
    If you mean the 2 WD (the internal HDDs) no, i've not tried to remove them, should i try it?
  2. Question] Check if the ATX I7O shield is correctly in place
    Answer] What should i check? It seems to fit correctly the slot of the case.
  3. Question] Are all standoffs correctly installed in the case for the new motherboard?
    Answer] One is missing becouse my case doesn't have one hole in the expected position, so i cant put the standoff.
  4. Question] Do you connect the USB to the motherboard directly or the front panel of the case?
    check cabling of the case
    Answer] Directly to the motherboard (on the back-side of the PC)
  5. Question] Install latest AMD chipset drivers from AMD.com
    Answer] Did it too, the problem i've reported has occurred with this chipset version (2.04.28.626).
@mamasan2000
  1. Question] Microsoft has a timer for unresponsive programs etc at shutdown.
    Answer] I have no key name "Desktop AutoEndTasks" or "HungAppTimeOut"
  2. Question] USB stuff could be because USB devices are not provided with enough power. Test a powered USB hub if you have one.
    Answer] I have thought the same but then i tried an external hdd usb3.1 inside the usb3.1 and it worked.
    I also tried usb3.0 (the one not working in usb 3.1gen1 ports) in the motherboard usb 2.0 and it worked.
EDIT:
Problem 1 and 3 probably solved.
The problem was caused by one of the two frontal usb header.
For some reason this frontal header caused the slowdown of the action "Shutdown/Reboot".
It also cause a slowdown in "open folder" of a program i use (IntelliJ -> open progect -> it keeps 30 seconds loading the folder list, without that header it load in 0.5 seconds!).

Someone can explain me why that happens?
I think windows try to recognize frontal usb header, then it fails, then it retries in loop.
I'm not really confident with this hypotesis becouse if i attach an usb pendrive in this frontal header (the one that causes slowdown) it works well.
I've also checked the transfer rate, it's normal!

Last edited: