[SOLVED] New build suddenly starts shutting off then back on by itself

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I just assembled this new build with a Gigabyte B460 MB, i5-10600KF with a Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB RAM, and a 500 GB M2 drive. I reused my old case, GT 1030 graphics card, Antec 520w power supply, and a 4TB 5400 drive, 250 GB SSD, and 2 DVD drives. I installed Windows today and it has been running for several hours fine then suddenly in the past hour is has shut down and immediately turned back on 4 different times. I am not doing anything labor intensive or anything, just browsing, using Office, etc. The fans are all running and I do occasionally hear one changing speeds. What do I check first?

Solution
Antec Neo Eco 520c 520 watts.

I don't know if I am speaking too soon here, but it was starting to go less than 5 minutes before shutting down. This last time, I just let it shut down and start up again and didn't log in to windows and it is still on 20 minutes later. Could Windows have something to do with it? Maybe this is just a coincidence though but I will keep it on and see if it reboots.

Yea that psu is old and low tier for a power hungry 10600kf. Keep it on and see if it shuts down, if it keeps happening, I would suggest you to try it with another psu, maybe take it to a shop to test it out. Well windows 10 cant cause a hard shutdown like you mentioned. You can try resetting windows but Im afraid the pc might shut down...

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
I just assembled this new build with a Gigabyte B460 MB, i5-10600KF with a Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB RAM, and a 500 GB M2 drive. I reused my old case, GT 1030 graphics card, Antec 520w power supply, and a 4TB 5400 drive, 250 GB SSD, and 2 DVD drives. I installed Windows today and it has been running for several hours fine then suddenly in the past hour is has shut down and immediately turned back on 4 different times. I am not doing anything labor intensive or anything, just browsing, using Office, etc. The fans are all running and I do occasionally hear one changing speeds. What do I check first?
Which model gigabyte b460 is it? Cant say for sure what the issue is, maybe a psu issue? Check all connections, check if any cables are loose, try re connecting them. Check if anything is shorting out and tripping the psu. Disconnect all the case fans and extras and see if it shut downs by itself. Try a bios update or reinstall, update drivers as well.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Which model gigabyte b460 is it? Cant say for sure what the issue is, maybe a psu issue? Check all connections, check if any cables are loose, try re connecting them. Check if anything is shorting out and tripping the psu. Disconnect all the case fans and extras and see if it shut downs by itself. Try a bios update or reinstall, update drivers as well.
B460 HD3. Looks like there is an updated BIOS for that, I will try that first. But the shutdowns are happening more frequent now.

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Also just curious why do you have a overclockable i5 on a mobo that cant oc, plus the mobo is on the low end side.
I would check the vrm temps, as long as it doesnt over heat it should be fine. But at this stage, with the frequent shutdown, i have my doubts on the mobo as well.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Also just curious why do you have a overclockable i5 on a mobo that cant oc, plus the mobo is on the low end side.
I would check the vrm temps, as long as it doesnt over heat it should be fine. But at this stage, with the frequent shutdown, i have my doubts on the mobo as well.

Because I ordered a i5-10400 but they sent me this one by mistake. It is faster so I may as well keep it.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Oof if the pc shutdown during bios update, it would be bad, before you do that, try the other things such as removing case fans etc.
I updated the BIOS before I read this so luckily it didnt shut down during the process. That didn't fix it though, it shut down again after I did that. I will open it up later and reconnect everything. It is not overheating though as the CPU is staying between 30-40 degrees. Would a power supply go bad suddenly like that, as it has worked fine with the old system for 10 years? Or does this one consume more power so maybe it is causing more of a strain?

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
I updated the BIOS before I read this so luckily it didnt shut down during the process. That didn't fix it though, it shut down again after I did that. I will open it up later and reconnect everything. It is not overheating though as the CPU is staying between 30-40 degrees. Would a power supply go bad suddenly like that, as it has worked fine with the old system for 10 years? Or does this one consume more power so maybe it is causing more of a strain?
10 years is a pretty long time, and it depends on the quality of the psu. Plus the 10600k is no joke, it has a tdp of 125w. Which psu is it and what's the wattage?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
10 years is a pretty long time, and it depends on the quality of the psu. Plus the 10600k is no joke, it has a tdp of 125w. Which psu is it and what's the wattage?

I don't know if I am speaking too soon here, but it was starting to go less than 5 minutes before shutting down. This last time, I just let it shut down and start up again and didn't log in to windows and it is still on 20 minutes later. Could Windows have something to do with it? Maybe this is just a coincidence though but I will keep it on and see if it reboots.

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013

Yea that psu is old and low tier for a power hungry 10600kf. Keep it on and see if it shuts down, if it keeps happening, I would suggest you to try it with another psu, maybe take it to a shop to test it out. Well windows 10 cant cause a hard shutdown like you mentioned. You can try resetting windows but Im afraid the pc might shut down during the process causing corruption.

Last edited:
Solution

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Yea that psu is old and low tier for a power hungry 10600kf. Keep it on and see if it shuts down, if it keeps happening, I would suggest you to try it with another psu, maybe take it to a shop to test it out. Well windows 10 cant cause a hard shutdown like you mentioned. You can try resetting windows but Im afraid the pc might shut down during the process causing corruption.

Ok, so I opened it up, reseated the RAM and video card, made sure all the power connectors were in, etc. I also just removed an extra SATA SSD that used to be my boot drive in the old system. I hadn't wiped it yet and just left it in there because I have a new M2 drive with the OS but I just took it out. Then I formatted the M2 drive and reinstalled Windows. It has been on constantly for 1 1/2 hours now since I did all that, but earlier today it was on for a few hours before it started doing that. If it does it again, do you think it is likely the power supply? I can hear the fan constantly changing speeds, but maybe I am not used to that because the old setup probably didn't have the MB optimizing the fan speed.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I guess I may as well since I replaced almost everything else! I ran a calculator and it says I have about a 300w load so is another 500w one like this one ok? Or feel free to recommend something else. I don't do any gaming or anything but do leave it on almost all the time because sometimes I access files off of it from other computers.

I guess I may as well since I replaced almost everything else! I ran a calculator and it says I have about a 300w load so is another 500w one like this one ok? Or feel free to recommend something else. I don't do any gaming or anything but do leave it on almost all the time because sometimes I access files off of it from other computers.

You replaced everything else before the 10 years old PSU? Should have been the first thing replaced to be honest.

The one you linked is a W1 model of EVGA and it's pretty bad.

What you want is a Tier A-B PSU or Tier C if you have no choices from that list.

The minimum PSU I recommend is the Tier B Corsair CX model - https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Q7L7YJ,FdRFf7/

Reactions: thomas123321

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
You replaced everything else before the 10 years old PSU? Should have been the first thing replaced to be honest.

The one you linked is a W1 model of EVGA and it's pretty bad.

What you want is a Tier A-B PSU or Tier C if you have no choices from that list.

The minimum PSU I recommend is the Tier B Corsair CX model - https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Q7L7YJ,FdRFf7/

Well I just wanted a faster CPU and tried to keep what I had but didn't think about the power supply. That one you linked looks fine, and I like that I won't have to have all those extra cables in there that I don't use. Guess I may as well get the 550w to be on the safe side. By the way, I left it on overnight to run some backups and it had rebooted sometime over night so I guess that confirms a power issue. It looks like I can get that delivered the same day so I will go ahead and order it put it in today before I get everything put away. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you again for your help.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Yes it's the power supply. It's too old. Replace it. 10 years for a low quality PSU is too old. Even for a good one.
I was just thinking, after I checked everything and reinstalled Windows, it ran constantly for at least 7 hours straight before I went to bed. I don't know how many times it shut down over night but it did in the morning within a few minutes of me using it. That is what happened initially too: it ran for several hours before doing that. Is that strange? I did order the PSU though so hopefully that is the issue.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I have been holding off on posting this because I don't want to jinx it, but I think it is safe now. I got that Corsair CX550 and put it in yesterday and it has been running for 22 hours straight now and has not shut off so I think that did the trick. I haven't been doing much with it but still have been monitoring the CPU temps and it has been in the low 30s for the most part with a max of 55 so I think all is well. I basically have a brand new computer now because even the GPU and large hard drive I reused were less than a year old. Thank you for your help!

I have been holding off on posting this because I don't want to jinx it, but I think it is safe now. I got that Corsair CX550 and put it in yesterday and it has been running for 22 hours straight now and has not shut off so I think that did the trick. I haven't been doing much with it but still have been monitoring the CPU temps and it has been in the low 30s for the most part with a max of 55 so I think all is well. I basically have a brand new computer now because even the GPU and large hard drive I reused were less than a year old. Thank you for your help!

Glad it was the PSU after all :)