[SOLVED] New Build the CPU fan sequels , have trouble opening the fan

Jun 21, 2020
I just built it a computer few days ago but the CPU (AMD 3000) fan sequels at medium rpm (1000-2000).

I googled a solution they recommended taking it off the heat sink, then remove the sticker and put some lubricant in the centre hole. But when I removed the sticker there was no centre hole, but there were 4 holes. But they seem to connect PCB board and not the shaft.

I tried removing the fan from the other side with a little force and I could not.

The fan came with the CPU, it has CoolMaster sticker though. I never had problems with noisy AMD stock fans. When I switched the fan with another old AMD comp, it worked fine without making much noise.

Here are some photos

Side A

5fITaYS.jpg

Side A Close Up
eTpW0fy.jpg

Side B
NdDBikw.jpg

What's the best way to open this fan?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I understand that. I was just saying that lubrication doesn't apply to that fan. It's a sealed bearing that doesn't have any lubrication other than a brass shaft and chrome spine, it's self lubricating. If it was double ball bearing, that'd be different, but the fact it's squealing, something is out of whack, and dumping oil into it won't work. There's no access. If oil did manage to make it into the bearing, it wouldn't stop there, it'd continue right out the back side and splatter, if it didn't grab every passing bit of dust and create eventual motor breakdown because of excessive resistance.

Just trying to save Op a headache later when the fan burns out, or coats everything behind the fan in a light coat of oil.

20 years ago...
I just built it a computer few days ago but the CPU (AMD 3000) fan sequels at medium rpm (1000-2000).

I googled a solution they recommended taking it off the heat sink, then remove the sticker and put some lubricant in the centre hole. But when I removed the sticker there was no centre hole, but there were 4 holes. But they seem to connect PCB board and not the shaft.

I tried removing the fan from the other side with a little force and I could not.

The fan came with the CPU, it has CoolMaster sticker though. I never had problems with noisy AMD stock fans. When I switched the fan with another old AMD comp, it worked fine without making much noise.

Here are some photos

Side A

5fITaYS.jpg

Side A Close Up
eTpW0fy.jpg

Side B
NdDBikw.jpg

What's the best way to open this fan?

Thanks
Axle is in the center, that's where bearing is and onlly place to lubricate. Sometimes there's a rubber plug in there and has to be taken out first. In case there isn't you could possibly drill a small hole just off center end try to inject some oil.

Jun 21, 2020
Axle is in the center, that's where bearing is and onlly place to lubricate. Sometimes there's a rubber plug in there and has to be taken out first. In case there isn't you could possibly drill a small hole just off center end try to inject some oil.
Thanks should I drill on Side A or Side B in the photos

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Neither. That's a sealed bearing fan, not one that requires lubrication. If it's squealing, there's an issue with the bearing lubrication won't fix, the shaft is out of alignment with the bearing and instead of floating, it's grinding. Or the shaft is not perfectly smooth and has a burr etc.

Better off just replacing the fan, (CM builds the heatsinks for AMD), a decent aircooler with be just as good, if not better and isn't that expensive.

Reactions: tyr5003

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I understand that. I was just saying that lubrication doesn't apply to that fan. It's a sealed bearing that doesn't have any lubrication other than a brass shaft and chrome spine, it's self lubricating. If it was double ball bearing, that'd be different, but the fact it's squealing, something is out of whack, and dumping oil into it won't work. There's no access. If oil did manage to make it into the bearing, it wouldn't stop there, it'd continue right out the back side and splatter, if it didn't grab every passing bit of dust and create eventual motor breakdown because of excessive resistance.

Just trying to save Op a headache later when the fan burns out, or coats everything behind the fan in a light coat of oil.

20 years ago, lubrication worked. Since then, design changes and modifications to bearings and motors have rendered lubrication pointless and next to useless. Mainstream pc fans have become cheap, single use, throw away items.

Solution