New Build, turn on fans spin for a sec then shut off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

meekers

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Just putting a brand new system together. When I turn it on the cpu and system fans spin for a second or so then immediately stop. Nothing else happens.

After this happened once I took everything apart and put it back together and got the same result.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ok I didn't see nobody else ask this. Did you try to run both sticks in single channel mode. As with your mobo it seems that would be 1&3.

Also I would google the problem the problem with the motherboard to see if it's a common issue. As I did also have a mobo that would not run in dual channel for some reason. It was simply really picky on what ram you used, and basically had to find out what others were using instead of what they said "they supported".

meekers

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
On my own I eventually got frustrated and tried what king has recommended. I put ram in A1 and A2(slots 1 and 3) and computer loaded fine. Windows recognized both sticks.

I will admit despite having built a bunch of systems I still know close to nothing about the technical aspects of it. So what does it mean to not be running it in the motherboard's paired slots?

meekers

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
ramxy.jpg

That is from my manual.

Ram will boot with 1 stick in either A1 or A2.

It will boot with two sticks when they are in A1 and A2.

It will not boot in any other combo. Putting ram in A1/B1 or A2/B2 will not boot despite the diagram suggesting the contrary.