Question New build will not post, I think CPU is the problem

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
I just finished my new build and it won't post, I have upgraded from a core i3 6100 with a GTX 950 to a ryzen 2600 with an rx580.. I have just finished setting up my new hardware and it doesn't want to post. I have double checked that my cpu, cooler, ram and all the wires were correctly installed, when I power up the PC all the fans spin, rgb strips work, CPU cooler works and the motherboard lights up indicating it has power and that it recognises that the gpu is plugged in but the graphics card will not start spinning and I get no signal to the monitor (which I know works as I was just using it)...

I have tried troubleshooting by replacing the rx580 with my 950 and the fans on the 950 start spinning for a second then stop then start up again for a second then stop again on and on...

I then reinstalled all my old parts ie the 6100 with the stock cooler and the 950 and the same thing is happening, everything lights up but the 950 starts spinning for a second then stops on and on...

I am now wondering if something is wrong with the PSU and the wire is just failing to deliver power to the gpu...

I just finished my new build and it won't post, I have upgraded from a core i3 6100 with a GTX 950 to a ryzen 2600 with an rx580.. I have just finished setting up my new hardware and it doesn't want to post. I have double checked that my cpu, cooler, ram and all the wires were correctly installed, when I power up the PC all the fans spin, rgb strips work, CPU cooler works and the motherboard lights up indicating it has power and that it recognises that the gpu is plugged in but the graphics card will not start spinning and I get no signal to the monitor (which I know works as I was just using it)...

I have tried troubleshooting by replacing the rx580 with my 950 and the fans on the 950 start spinning for a second then stop then start up again for a second then stop again on and on...

I then reinstalled all my old parts ie the 6100 with the stock cooler and the 950 and the same thing is happening, everything lights up but the 950 starts spinning for a second then stops on and on...

I am now wondering if something is wrong with the PSU and the wire is just failing to deliver power to the gpu...
Need to know the all of the exact parts you are using.

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Need to know the all of the exact parts you are using.

Original Parts: CPU: Intel core i3 6100 with stock cooler
motherboard: gigabyte ga-h110m-s2h
gpu: evga GTX 950
Ram: crucial 1x8gb 2133 stick
Psu: fsp hydro 500w bronze

New parts: CPU: ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler
Motherboard: Asus prime b450m-k
Gpu: gigabyte Radeon rx580

Both have the same Sata 3 ssds: 120gb Intel 530 and 500gb Samsung 860 Evo

Original Parts: CPU: Intel core i3 6100 with stock cooler
motherboard: gigabyte ga-h110m-s2h
gpu: evga GTX 950

New parts: CPU: ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler
Motherboard: Asus prime b450m-k
Gpu: gigabyte Radeon rx580

Both have the same Sata 3 ssds: 120gb Intel 530 and 500gb Samsung 860 Evo
That’s a pretty poor PSU for a RX 580. It shouldn’t even be in a system with a dedicated PSU, let alone a 580. Taking into consideration it’s also several years old, it’s time to replace that thing with a quality PSU regardless if it is the cause or not.

Reactions: TheRealLucky

TheRealLucky

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
That’s a pretty poor PSU for a RX 580. It shouldn’t even be in a system with a dedicated PSU, let alone a 580. Taking into consideration it’s also several years old, it’s time to replace that thing with a quality PSU regardless if it is the cause or not.
Yeap, I'm doing a step by step upgrade, psu and ram was next... Figured out the problem with the card, turns out I forgot to plug something in so that's my bad, took me 2 hours and multiple rebuilds to realise...
Still not getting a post tho, now I'm getting a triple beep error message. I'm going to take it to the local store tommorow and see if they can check whether it's a ram incompatibility issue. In theory the board should support the 2133hz stick but makes the same sound whether the stick is plugged in the right/ wrong lane or not at all so maybe I'll have to upgrade ram earlier than I thought.