[SOLVED] New Build - - - - Windows/Ubuntu install fails, and BIOS Setup freezes on exit ?

Dec 22, 2022
Hello I have just nearly completed my first build, but have been stuck for days in a horrible loop. The build went well, everything went together and it posted. I initially had a lot of trouble with the bios setup stuttering and freezing on the Gigabyte motherboard but was eventually able to start windows install from usb but windows install eventually failed and has numerous times, usually it just freezes for hours but sometimes I just get an error code 0x8007045d.

it seemed like a bad NVMe SSD so i swapped for another new one and the problem persists, Also replaced with new msi motherboard. I was able to get further in a UBUNTU install When these installs fails I usually cannot get a bios setup or boot select until i clear cmos. Ive tried with 5 different usb sticks from 16 to 32 gb usb 2.0 and 3.0 on various ports and with windows 10 and 11. From within windows installer i opened command prompt but when i try to run chkdsk or format it just freezes the terminal but i can still open a new one with shift f10.

I would assume a bios flash o f a more recent version might help, but every-time i go into m-flash, it gives black screen or resets in a boot loop.

Specs:
MSI B650 Tomahawk
Ryzen 7600x
Corsair rm1000e
Gskill cl38 s5 xmp 6000J3636F16GX2-RS5K
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD

I have swapped motherboard and nvme. I thought maybe one of the ddr5 was bad so I have tried with both and just using one, but both have worked. im completely losing hope. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
swapped MB & Nvme.

I thought maybe one of the ddr5 was bad so I have tried with both and just using one, but both have worked.
how do you mean they have worked?

Now its clearly hardware since 2 different OS have issues.

Have you tried running Prime95?
Prime 95 Bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/

as its likely something you haven't swapped yet.

What ram mode are you running? EXPO or XMP?

Colif

Win 11 Master
swapped MB & Nvme.

I thought maybe one of the ddr5 was bad so I have tried with both and just using one, but both have worked.

Now its clearly hardware since 2 different OS have issues.

Have you tried running Prime95?
Prime 95 Bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/

as its likely something you haven't swapped yet.

Solution
Dec 22, 2022
swapped MB & Nvme.

I may have been assuming incorrectly that if I can boot into the installer (eventually) that the ram is ok. It has not been tested.

With the first Gigabyte motherboard and both ram sticks I was initially able to complete the windows 10 installation. That is when the problems started, after first boot into windows It was autoloading the gigabyte controller app and crashed installing drivers and kept retarting or freezing. I assumed bad install so I tried a clean install. But it started randomly restarting and getting stuck at VGA light at boot, so I switched to igpu (took out the radeon6900xt) and moved hdmi to motherboard.

Hen I would clear cmos I could get the boot menu and try to reinstall windows again from usb but those continued to fail. and often computer would just reboot on its own like it was stuck in a loop. usually after this happened i would have to clear cmos again to get boot menu or bios setup. The problems are very similar with both motherboards.

it is g skill s5 xmp ram and there is an xmp profile in the MSI BIOS. I tried enabling it once and it froze, the same way when I try to M-FLASH or exit with or without saving. I noticed this ram is not on thq qvl list for the motherboard, I had read XMP ram is ok with AMD. There is in fact an EXPO X5 vs S5 version of this g skill cl32 ram that is on the qvl list. I have ordered the XMP ram just in case I can return the S5, but it wont be here for a while as I live in a rural area.

I could swear after initial boot in the bios setup it said Memory "6000" but subsequently it says "4800". I may just be losing my mind after four days of this troubleshooting.

I had not heard of the prime95 stress test before I will load it on usb and give it a go, THE UBCD version you linked. I appreciate your help, It is really great to be doing something proactive run out of ideas, thank you.

Dec 22, 2022
I may have been assuming incorrectly that if I can boot into the installer (eventually) that the ram is ok. It has not been tested.

With the first Gigabyte motherboard and both ram sticks I was initially able to complete the windows 10 installation. That is when the problems started, after first boot into windows It was autoloading the gigabyte controller app and crashed installing drivers and kept retarting or freezing. I assumed bad install so I tried a clean install. But it started randomly restarting and getting stuck at VGA light at boot, so I switched to igpu (took out the radeon6900xt) and moved hdmi to motherboard.

Hen I would clear cmos I could get the boot menu and try to reinstall windows again from usb but those continued to fail. and often computer would just reboot on its own like it was stuck in a loop. usually after this happened i would have to clear cmos again to get boot menu or bios setup. The problems are very similar with both motherboards.

it is g skill s5 xmp ram and there is an xmp profile in the MSI BIOS. I tried enabling it once and it froze, the same way when I try to M-FLASH or exit with or without saving. I noticed this ram is not on thq qvl list for the motherboard, I had read XMP ram is ok with AMD. There is in fact an EXPO X5 vs S5 version of this g skill cl32 ram that is on the qvl list. I have ordered the XMP ram just in case I can return the S5, but it wont be here for a while as I live in a rural area.

I could swear after initial boot in the bios setup it said Memory "6000" but subsequently it says "4800". I may just be losing my mind after four days of this troubleshooting.

I had not heard of the prime95 stress test before I will load it on usb and give it a go, THE UBCD version you linked. I appreciate your help, It is really great to be doing something proactive run out of ideas, thank you.

I was able to flash bios with usb 2.0 drive with the physical button. Label file MSI.ROM. As soon as it was done and restarted the bios setup functioned normally.
Enabling xmp however did result in boot failure, but back in, windows installed. This thing is blazing fast on windows11