Question New build with issues

Aug 2, 2024
Hello,

I built a new gaming pc on the 31st of July. After everything was setup I installed windows and AMD drivers, I was able to play for a few hours before going to bed. Then the next morning when I turned my pc I started having issues:

- When turning off the pc it won't actually turn off, it will sit there with all screens, mouse and keyboard off. For a good 5-10 minutes nothing will happen and it will boot into windows again. Same happens when pressing restart in windows, it will just take really long.
When shutting down/restarting from Safe Mode everything acts as normal (pc turns off at shut down and restarts immediately when told to restart)

-AMD drivers crash everytime after windows boots
It will either say that AMD crash defender detected an error with the graphics driver and now it's running in safe mode or it will say that AMD software has detected an issue with loading drivers.

Build:
CPU: AMD 7800X3D
CPU cooler: Arctic freezer III 420mm
GPU: Sapphire nitro+ 7900XTX
Motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk b650 WIFI
RAM g-skill Trident 6000mhz 2x32GB (compatible with motherboard I check)
PSU: Be quiet straight power 12 1000W
PC case: Thermaltake CTE C750
SSD: NVME 980EVO samsung 2TB

I reinstalled windows several times, updated bios to the latest version, downgraded to an older version for testing, updated to latest again.

I have tested my GPU in my other pc that has an intel 13700k and it runs fine, no driver crashes.

I am currently testing my RAM with windows memory diagnostic. Tried with AMD EXPO on and off, it doesn't seem to make a difference to the problems going on.

CPU and GPU temperatures are normal

Could I be unlucky and have gotten a broken motherboard? I have built several gaming pc's myself over the years and never ran into issues like this.

Edit: Ram testing result came back with 0 errors
Edit2: I am now seeing lots of hardware errors in windows reliability monitor
1b0 and 141 error code
141 is probably related to graphics driver, no idea about 1b0

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2024
Thank you for the reply, I did this when I got home just now, didn't make a difference. But get this, before I went to work I unplugged the power cable for about 15 minutes and put it back in. Since I did that my drivers haven't crashed anymore at all, currently I am at my 6th restart and even played some stuff and still no driver has crashed. My only issue remaining is that my PC just won't turn off when I press shut down. I am currently trying to update to windows 11 to see if it fixed itself that way

Aug 2, 2024
Update: After upgrading to windows 11 the driver crashing issue came back, I reverted the update and the issue is gone again. When booting into safe mode and then turning off the PC it immediately shuts down completely. When restarting in safe mode it immediately restarts.