[SOLVED] New build with Lian Li case - Thoughts on replacing the stock fans? :)

JBMonkey

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello!

I'm doing new build. I didn't think about this earlier....

I just got the Lian Li Lancool-II-Mesh-Performance case. It comes with 2 120mm fans in the front (it can hold 3 120mm fans there though) and 1 exhaust fan. I don't care about RGB whatsoever... I was thinking about changing them all and adding one to the front with the Corsair LL120 fans, I just hear they much better quality then any stock fans, I dunno either way.

Do you think it's worth it to upgrade them? It would be about $115 maybe for the 4. This is only my second build. Any help is always appreciated :) Thank you

Also, if anyone is familiar with this case and can recommend a better setup for the fans/cooling I'd love to hear it. I also have the Corsair H100x 240mm CPU Cooler that I planned on mounting to the top of the case. (sorry if you think this last comment should be under "CASES" let me know) Have a good day!

Solution
"the lancool ii mesh performance comes with 2x140mm ".... wow im a moron. thanks for pointing that out LOL omg.

"If you dont care about rgb, why get corsair ll120s?".... whenever I lookup "good replacement fans for stock" or something similar, that is the one that always seems to come up and has the highest reviews or the only ones I seem to find all have RGB anyway. If I HAVE to use RGB as long as I can just set it to white or another solid color that should be ok.

Basically what I want is something that works well, I rather spend more $ or wait if I have to and buy a better part or replacement if it is going to improve the airflow. That being said... I don't know sh*t about this really LMAOO. I'm tryin my best to make sure that...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Worth is something only you can determine - cost, personal preference, and so on. No one else can really answer this for you.

I'd say no to 120mm fans though. 140mm moves just as much at the same rpm and has a more pleasant sound profile, allowing you to run them faster than you could with 120mm.
The fans that you can comfortably run at 100% - or as close to it as possible - are the ones that end up doing the best in the long run.

johnsoner13

Respectable
the lancool ii mesh performance comes with 2x140mm intake not 2x120mm. If you buy another 120mm you cannot fit it in the front with the stock fans. You can fit either 2x140mm or 3x120mm maximum. If you dont care about rgb, why get corsair ll120s? The only good thing about them is rgb (even then, it’s not that good. I call them hotspot fans because they do a piss poor job of diffusing each led and you can see them individually) their performance is garbage relative to other non rgb fans

JBMonkey

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
the lancool ii mesh performance comes with 2x140mm intake not 2x120mm. If you buy another 120mm you cannot fit it in the front with the stock fans. You can fit either 2x140mm or 3x120mm maximum. If you dont care about rgb, why get corsair ll120s? The only good thing about them is rgb (even then, it’s not that good. I call them hotspot fans because they do a piss poor job of diffusing each led and you can see them individually) their performance is garbage relative to other non rgb fans

"the lancool ii mesh performance comes with 2x140mm ".... wow im a moron. thanks for pointing that out LOL omg.

"If you dont care about rgb, why get corsair ll120s?".... whenever I lookup "good replacement fans for stock" or something similar, that is the one that always seems to come up and has the highest reviews or the only ones I seem to find all have RGB anyway. If I HAVE to use RGB as long as I can just set it to white or another solid color that should be ok.

Basically what I want is something that works well, I rather spend more $ or wait if I have to and buy a better part or replacement if it is going to improve the airflow. That being said... I don't know sh*t about this really LMAOO. I'm tryin my best to make sure that I at least have the cooling/fans optimized... maybe im overthinking it?

"their performance is garbage relative to other non rgb fans" any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Basically what I want is something that works well, I rather spend more $ or wait if I have to and buy a better part or replacement if it is going to improve the airflow. That being said... I don't know sh*t about this really LMAOO. I'm tryin my best to make sure that I at least have the cooling/fans optimized... maybe im overthinking it?

"their performance is garbage relative to other non rgb fans" any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again
No sweat, OP. How much the intake fans can supply matters much less with mesh panel and at least 2x120mm fans. 140mms are obviously better for any given design, RPM, and noise level.

If it helps allay your worries, I experimented with front fans configuration with only dust filters as restriction; found that 3x fans nets no difference in temps compared to 2x fans, and with 3x fans even replacing the fans with good pair of SP120s (also with the Scythes in my sig) compared to cheap $2 LED ring fans only resulted in 1-2 deg C of difference, nothing relevant really. Keep in mind that my dust filter is the cheap, restrictive kind. Mesh panels are more free-flowing in comparison.

Fan upgrades matter more on heatsinks, radiators, and rear exhaust fan. Anywhere else and AFAIK it doesn't make a lick of difference.

Solution