[SOLVED] New build with old SSD as main driver that ran Windows 7

Apr 18, 2021
My old build was completely non-functional (likely a motherboard issue) since it would not boot. I constructed a new pc using a new processor, motherboard, and ram, but transplanted the two drives (one HDD and one SSD) into the new machine.

The problem now is that the SSD (my main drive with OS) was using Windows 7 at the time of last boot up and use. I want to use the old SSD and HDD, but when I try to boot the new pc, I can only get past bios, past the windows boot animation, and finally halt at the user login screen where I am stuck, and neither the keyboard or mouse will work (they lose power).

How can I get my pc to run and get past the user login screen? I would like to update to Windows 10 to get closer to that solution but have no idea how to proceed with that.

Solution
My old build was completely non-functional (likely a motherboard issue) since it would not boot. I constructed a new pc using a new processor, motherboard, and ram, but transplanted the two drives (one HDD and one SSD) into the new machine.

The problem now is that the SSD (my main drive with OS) was using Windows 7 at the time of last boot up and use. I want to use the old SSD and HDD, but when I try to boot the new pc, I can only get past bios, past the windows boot animation, and finally halt at the user login screen where I am stuck, and neither the keyboard or mouse will work (they lose power).

How can I get my pc to run and get past the user login screen? I would like to update to Windows 10 to get closer to that solution but...

How can I get my pc to run and get past the user login screen? I would like to update to Windows 10 to get closer to that solution but have no idea how to proceed with that.
Motherboard changeout requires complete drive wipe and clean OS and program installation. Hopefully you backed up files you wanted to keep beforehand to another location. There's a tutorial here for clean win 10 install. Only the OS drive should be connected for this. Disconnect any other drives until it's up and running properly.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 18, 2021
Motherboard changeout requires complete drive wipe and clean OS and program installation. Hopefully you backed up files you wanted to keep beforehand. There's a tutorial here for clean win 10 install. Only the OS drive should be connected for this. Disconnect any other drives until it's up and running properly.
I will try this and report back

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
if you still insist of using win7, well you need to enable Legacy Mode (depend to Brand Motherboard). It May able to boot but good luck searching Driver for Motherboard under win7 cause most of manufacture no longer provide support driver for win7.

Else use PS2 Mouse and Keyboard if you still wish to try cause USB IO is not working without the proper win7 driver and yeah, I am also suggest just turn it into win10 instead.

Apr 18, 2021
When working through a clean installation of Windows 10, I got to the point where I was selecting a drive "partition" to install Windows 10 onto. I chose to "Format" the primary drive (Drive 0 Partition 2), but after I chose that option , the installer is telling me that I cannot install on the primary.

When I click to ask to show details on error, I get: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

How am I to proceed? The drive is now reading 238.3 GB free and 238.4 GB total, and I only have the options: refresh, delete, format, new, load driver, and extend.

Apr 18, 2021

When working through a clean installation of Windows 10, I got to the point where I was selecting a drive "partition" to install Windows 10 onto. I chose to "Format" the primary drive (Drive 0 Partition 2), but after I chose that option , the installer is telling me that I cannot install on the primary.

When I click to ask to show details on error, I get: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

How am I to proceed? The drive is now reading 238.3 GB free and 238.4 GB total, and I only have the options: refresh, delete, format, new, load driver, and extend.

Apr 18, 2021
Motherboard changeout requires complete drive wipe and clean OS and program installation. Hopefully you backed up files you wanted to keep beforehand to another location. There's a tutorial here for clean win 10 install. Only the OS drive should be connected for this. Disconnect any other drives until it's up and running properly.

There were unsupported cheats/OS hacks/patches required to get WIn7 to work w/ even 7000 series of Intel processors/200 series chipsets, as well as anything as recent as 2017-era Ryzens, much less the latest Ryzen CPUs and chipsets. IN short, Win7 is... doomed.

Use WIn10.