Question New Build with problems

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Build a new computer, ASrock Z790 Steel Legend, I7 13700k, RTX 3060, and two drives. First drive is a M.2 990 Pro and second drive is a samsung 850 pro. I use the 990 for work and the 850 for personal use.. I switch drive when I boot in bois startup. It will let me decide what drive to boot too. Problem is if I boot to the personal drive have dozen times and try to boot to 990 its dead. Ged the blue screen of death, what is causing this? Doesn't seem like this should be issue. I can get into cmd on 990 and run sfc /scannow and it says it repaired the drive but it will not boot into windows. Is thier something different I can run in cmd? Thanks for any suggestions.

Build a new computer, ASrock Z790 Steel Legend, I7 13700k, RTX 3060, and two drives. First drive is a M.2 990 Pro and second drive is a samsung 850 pro. I use the 990 for work and the 850 for personal use.. I switch drive when I boot in bois startup. It will let me decide what drive to boot too. Problem is if I boot to the personal drive have dozen times and try to boot to 990 its dead. Ged the blue screen of death, what is causing this? Doesn't seem like this should be issue. I can get into cmd on 990 and run sfc /scannow and it says it repaired the drive but it will not boot into windows. Is thier something different I can run in cmd? Thanks for any suggestions.
Did you install OS ( presumably Windows) on each drive while other disk was disabled ? Also both should be installed with same BIOS settings.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks Mike
I did have only one drive installed when installing windows 11, both used same bios setting. Wonder if anybody else on this forum is trying to do what I'm ? Seems
like this should not be a problem. I just reinstalled windows11 on the 990 pro with other drive out. I did do a restore point this time on the 990. Going to test a couple days before installing work software. This should work using to different drives and OS and booting to drive I want right?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
OK I need help
I did a new install on the 990 pro, I booted to system about 10 times with no problems. I installed my 850 pro and it booted up with a disk check? I restart it about 6 times with no problems. I now want to start with the 990 drive and get the blue screen of death? What do I
need to do to make this work? Seems like two drives are crashing with each other? Is it possible to have a setup like this?

Anybody got any suggestions? Somebody must have two OS on one computer.

Last edited: