Question New build won't boot; CPU problem?

Sep 12, 2019
I decided to build another PC, i opted for an i5-9400f and MSI b360m bazooka motherboard. once everything was assembled, i hit the power button - and got nothing. being familiar with all the dumb little shit you do in the excitement of building your new computer, so i made sure everything was secure, plugged in ect.. even went through the front panel and buttons, still nothing. over the course of 3 hours of troubleshooting I had stripped it down to nothing but the board, cpu, and cooler without any improvements. i even broke out a multi-meter and tested the voltage for the different pins on my power-supply and bought another one entirely; nothing. The only thing i can think of i haven't tested for extensively is the incompatibility between the 9400f and b360 board. I dont have an 8th gen cpu to throw in it until i can get bios updated, and ive even called shops to see if they did, nobody had any laying around for that sort of thing. i looked for a usb bios flash button but didnt see one. anyone have a solution for the lack of power or booting without an updated bios?

Well your not going to get a working system without the graphics card in. The 9400f has no igpu.

I would suspect if the issue was no gpu or old bios you would still get a fan spin.

What are the rest of the system specs?
Have you made sure psu switch is on and motherboard is plugged into psu?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Why did you opt for the 9400f? That CPU is primarily made for system builders/OEM's who want to stack their product portfolio. As a regular private consumer it is expected that you go for the 9400K that comes with integrated GPU circuit and a unlocked multiplier for overclocking. Anyway have you tried to boot the mobbo outside the case on top of the mother board box? If not then try booting it with just 1 RAM stick in the correct slot and nothing hooked up to it. Just the 24 pin power from the PSU. Do you get any sort of reaction from the mother board when doing it like this? Especially check the EZ debug lights. They should all come off (might flash momentarily). If you want you can also hook up a fan just to see if the fan starts to spin.

Sep 12, 2019
i got the 9400f because its newer tech, and it suites my needs. the 9400k is $100 more, and i have 3 or 4 GPUs of varying quality laying around so i opted for the 9400f. as far as needing a gpu; i dont mean it wont get to splash, i mean not a single fan would spin, cpu cooler doesnt turn on, none of the troubleshooting lights come on ive tried to boot the board with a single stick of ram, i havent tried it outside of the case (though i did check all my standoffs and reseat it).

i didnt mention it earlier because its such a weird and obscure test, but i use an old OEM dell power supply to troubleshoot, they have test buttons on the back, and for some reason holding down the button turns on the psu, and the cpu test light comes on (any fans connected as well), but when i let the button go everything shuts off (as it should) and im still unable to start the pc via power button. im not sure how to interpret this behavior, but the board leds will come on when holding an OEM psu test button

full spec-
cpu-i5-9400f
gpu-gtx 1070ti
mobo-msi b360m bazooka
psu-thermaltake 700w 80+
storage-lite-on nvme ssd
-adata ssd
-WD HDD
cpu cooler-deepcool captain 240 RGB AIO
3 aigo case fans

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
i got the 9400f because its newer tech, and it suites my needs. the 9400k is $100 more, and i have 3 or 4 GPUs of varying quality laying around so i opted for the 9400f. as far as needing a gpu; i dont mean it wont get to splash, i mean not a single fan would spin, cpu cooler doesnt turn on, none of the troubleshooting lights come on ive tried to boot the board with a single stick of ram, i havent tried it outside of the case (though i did check all my standoffs and reseat it).

i didnt mention it earlier because its such a weird and obscure test, but i use an old OEM dell power supply to troubleshoot, they have test buttons on the back, and for some reason holding down the button turns on the psu, and the cpu test light comes on (any fans connected as well), but when i let the button go everything shuts off (as it should) and im still unable to start the pc via power button. im not sure how to interpret this behavior, but the board leds will come on when holding an OEM psu test button

full spec-
cpu-i5-9400f
gpu-gtx 1070ti
mobo-msi b360m bazooka
psu-thermaltake 700w 80+
storage-lite-on nvme ssd
-adata ssd
-WD HDD
cpu cooler-deepcool captain 240 RGB AIO
3 aigo case fans

Those good old power supplies by DELL. I wish all power supplies these days would have that function. Basically it is of great help to identify the failing component inside a system. To do that you disconnect all cables to all units inside. Then you hook them up one at a time and push that button on the power supply. If it lights up it means the component allows current to pass trough. First you should try having just the 24 pin mother board connector plugged in (make sure that the CPU power and CPU fan is disconnected) then push that button. If it lights up then also plug in the CPU power lead and test again. If it still lights up then all should be well with the mother board and CPU as far as letting power trough them, next try with both the CPU and CPU fan/Radiator power also connected. If it lights up when you have the motherboard connected with just the 24 pin but then it fails when the CPU power is also connected. Then it means something is wrong with the CPU.