Sep 5, 2020
Hey guys ill start off with a parts list

i3-9100F
Msi z390-a pro
G.skill ripjaw 16gb ddr4 3200 cl16
Western digital blue 1TB
MSI geforce GTX 1650 4gb Ventus XS
Evga 500W 80+ power supply

So i put the computer together and i get the led light (ez Debug) flash for 1 sec on top light (cpu error) ... no fans no deep no nothing I'm not sure what the problem is. This is what i have done so far. checked 24 pin and cpu everything looked good, recheck the power and reset switch also looked good and still not got no post. I then used 1 ram stick in each dim slot with both sticks no luck took off the cpu stock fan and removed the I3 no pins bent so i put it back together and nothing..... (this pc is for a young family remember of mine.. ) so then i took out the PSU from my own pc that works and used it in this build and nothing still :( i then used my ram.. GPU.. and i have a extra I3-8100 laying around i used that with both stock fans from each I3 and nothing... I then took apart the whole pc maybe 3-4 times to see if maybe i was overlooking something and everything looked good but still no post..(also check the standoffs) I have been reading that i may have to flash the bios but I'm not sure how i can do that if i cant get the mobo to turn on.... I'm thinking it a bad mobo but I'm not sure that's why im here lol any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Solution
I just tried to turn it on outside of the case and it worked with the one ran in !! Do you think one of the issues could be
How did you switch on outside the case ? Using the screwdriver technique, touching the 2 pins ?
I see 2 possibilities:
  1. The front panel little connectors were not correctly placed on the mobo
  2. The mobo was touching a metal part of the case and you had a short ( you said that you are sure of the stand offs placement) so look carefully everywhere in the case
    I would check the 1st hypothesis to begin with
  1. You do not need to flash the BIOS for the i3-9100F or i3-8100. They are both supported by the original BIOS.
  2. The EZ Debug light flashing for 1 second does not indicate a problem. A problem is indicated when one of the EZ Debug lights stays on.
  3. First try clearing the motherboard CMOS. Then boot with 1 stick of RAM in slot DIMM_A2, no drives connected and no GPU, using the i3-8100 onboard graphics to see if you can get into the BIOS. (the i3-9100F has no built in graphics)

Reactions: martinch
Sep 5, 2020
  1. You do not need to flash the BIOS for the i3-9100F or i3-8100. They are both supported by the original BIOS.
  2. The EZ Debug light flashing for 1 second does not indicate a problem. A problem is indicated when one of the EZ Debug lights stays on.
  3. First try clearing the motherboard CMOS. Then boot with 1 stick of RAM in slot DIMM_A2, no drives connected and no GPU, using the i3-8100 onboard graphics to see if you can get into the BIOS. (the i3-9100F has no built in graphics)
Thank you for the reply I just tried it and unfortunately same problem

Sep 5, 2020
Do none of the EZ Debug LED's stay on?
Have you checked the CPU socket for any bent pins?
The light turns on for literally one second and turns off when I hit the power button and I have looked at the pins and everything looks OK but it’s really hard to tell but there’s no pin that’s significantly bent

The light turns on for literally one second and turns off when I hit the power button and I have looked at the pins and everything looks OK but it’s really hard to tell but there’s no pin that’s significantly bent
Are you certain the stick of RAM is pushed all the way down in it's slot, at both ends?
Have you tried booting the motherboard outside the case?

The checklist below from MSI explains how the EZ Debug LED's work. Each LED should turn on for a short time while the component is checked, then the LED will go out if that part is OK. If the light stays on, there is a problem. Unfortunately your motherboard does not seem to indicate any problem.

https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_No_Display

Sep 5, 2020
Yeah I’ve triple checked the ram multiple times and used two different sets and one I know is working 100% because it came out of my personal computer and it is compatible with the mobo I haven’t tried booting the motherboard outside of the case

Sep 5, 2020
Are you certain the stick of RAM is pushed all the way down in it's slot, at both ends?

The checklist below from MSI explains how the EZ Debug LED's work. Each LED should turn on for a short time while the component is checked, then the LED will go out if that part is OK. If the light stays on, there is a problem. Unfortunately your motherboard does not seem to indicate any problem.

I’ve literally tried everything on that site the only thing I haven’t tried is booting it outside of the case

I’ve literally tried everything on that site the only thing I haven’t tried is booting it outside of the case
Tomshardware has a checklist you can look through.

Sep 5, 2020

I just tried to turn it on outside of the case and it worked with the one ran in !! Do you think one of the issues could be

How did you switch on outside the case ? Using the screwdriver technique, touching the 2 pins ?
I see 2 possibilities:
  1. The front panel little connectors were not correctly placed on the mobo
  2. The mobo was touching a metal part of the case and you had a short ( you said that you are sure of the stand offs placement) so look carefully everywhere in the case
    I would check the 1st hypothesis to begin with

Solution
Sep 5, 2020

I have it back in the case working and currently installing windows I’m not sure what the issue was could’ve been a standoff screw I’m unsure but needless to say thank you for your time and your help

Reactions: rocktalkrock