Question new build

May 26, 2020
i know this will probably be an easy help for some of you guys but i havent built a pc for a while, so any errors i run into is guesswork unless i can get help

basically as far as im aware all is compatible, set up correctly and installed correctly, switch on power, come to bios screen, load bios it asks for, so i look at the new motherboard disk that came in the box and think this must be what its asking for however i notice i dont have a disk drive so i put it in my old pc disk drive on my old pc with intention of seing if the drive still works and then disconnecting it and attaching it to my new pc to install the bios, however the disk tray opens, i put in disk, it closes then it stopped working, i turn off my old pc, disconnect the disk tray with new motherboard disk inside and connect this to my new pc hoping to eliminate issues, no good the disk drive wont work not even with new cables, its probably broke due to it never being used in 10 years, so now i have a trapped disk in an old disk tray.

what id like to know is, is there another way to set up the bios on my new pc?

what options do i have?

can i simply plug in a usb stick download a bios from AMD/MSI onto it then plug that into my new pc and that will work and install the bios?

any help would be appreciated

May 26, 2020
MB MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AM4 DDR4 ATX
GC Powercolour radeon RX5600XT 6GB
CPU Ryzen 7 3800X 8 core 4.5Mhz
Ram 32GB GSkill DDR4 (2x16GB) 3000Mhz
PSU Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold
HD 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200Rpm 256MB
SSD Adata M.2 SX8200 512MB

May 26, 2020
So I followed an msi video on how to install a bios onto a usb stick from my old pc, it says to format the stick, so I do, put it on default and 32 fat so I do, download bios to pc, extract files, rename the file MSI.ROM so I do, copy the file to my stick, that works fine, then plug it into flash usb point and press button and wait for flashing to stop, so I do but this doesn’t work, it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I’m a bit stumped now because I thought that’s all I had to do

May 26, 2020
i did this, and i removed ssd/hd, i tried doing it the flash method and then i tried by hand selecting usb as first place to install from, i dont think the file is recognised, i dont know if i should try doing the same with an older bios and just update it once its installed or if its my usb drive, im following msi instructions on how they would do it, stumped atm

May 26, 2020
i get to part 6 of the top part you linked me and select the usb drive however no file is there for me to select, im unsure if im doing the right thing or not.
please bare in mind im using my old pc to go to msi website, putting in all my new board details, getting the bios it reccomends, then downloading that to my old pc, unto the flash drive there, then inserting that flash drive into my new pc, switching on, going into bios and cant find the files, i then go back to old pc and see files are still there, i dont know if the usb is even being picked up or not.

or maybe im doing it wrong and i should be doing something else

May 26, 2020
i get to part 6 of the top part you linked me and select the usb drive however no file is there for me to select, im unsure if im doing the right thing or not.
please bare in mind im using my old pc to go to msi website, putting in all my new board details, getting the bios it reccomends, then downloading that to my old pc, unto the flash drive there, then inserting that flash drive into my new pc, switching on, going into bios and cant find the files, i then go back to old pc and see files are still there, i dont know if the usb is even being picked up or not.

or maybe im doing it wrong and i should be doing something else

my guess now is maybe the usb stick im using isnt compatable

im ordering a new one now for delivery tomorrow, il see what happens then

May 26, 2020
i didnt rename any files, the files downloaded, i extracted, one is a read me file the other is a 1BO file i plug this into my new pc and i cant find these files, nothing stands out asthough ive even plugged that usb in

May 26, 2020
so you didn't do that

or did you redownload?
so far ive redownloaded the file to usb 4 times thinking something is wrong, i then see it wont load then i reformat the usb and try again doing something different, il try again later i have to go install kitchen now, so il prob try this again tonight or in the morning, il let you know how i get on

May 26, 2020
I have also been in touch with msi, like you also stated they said to use the black USB port, they said not to rename anything as that is if I use the flash button, I’m supposed to use the M-Flash part of the motherboard setup after I’ve spammed delete, so I did this, and I press M-Flash and it can’t find the media and I’m unsure why, brand new usb, done what you and msi have said and no luck I’m stumped