New CAD/BIM build or upgrade components

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I've got a homebuilt PC that I put together about 3-4 years ago as a home theater PC that I've suddenly had to commandeer back into service for some architecture projects. I've used Draftsight (open source version of AutoCad) minimally on it, and SketchUp Pro and LayOut almost exclusively on it the last few months but I've found myself gravitating back to Revit recently as the SU/LO workflow solution isn't quite as refined as I need. For some reason, Revit has been crashing on me and I haven't been able to determine why,but I'm beginning to think that perhaps the system isn't up to the task. I don't do a ton of rendering, but I've got one project that I will need to do some rendering for, although it isn't at the heart of what I want the system to do.

The current build includes the following specs:
AMD FX 4100 3.6GHz, 12.0MB Cache 4-core processor Black Edition
8GB DDR3-1333 Dual Channel Desktop Memory
Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P AM3+ MoBo
Asus HD 5450 Silent Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (for software) - this was just added recently
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA Internal HD (for storage)
Power supply: for some reason I didn't log that item in my google doc, so will have to look at it later today

I'm not sure if there's much I can do with that motherboard/CPU combo that will ensure smooth operation, but if I can upgrade either without having to overhaul and reinstall everything, that would be a plus. Maybe adding RAM would help as well? Looking for suggestions on either upgrade or new build.

Approximate Purchase Date: next 30 days
Budget Range: $700 After Rebates; Before Shipping (for new build)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: BIM software
Are you buying a monitor: Possibly might add a second
Parts to Upgrade: CPU/mobo, RAM, power supply if needed
Do you need to buy OS: Yes (if I build new)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, my local MicroCenter location
Parts Preferences: none
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: I don't know
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: Revit 2017 or possibly 2018, SketchUp Pro
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: have had Revit crash on me several times since beginning to use it again and haven't resolved why, thinking it might be the system.

Solution
Revit... https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Revit-2017-products.html
Ideally you will need a strong multicore compute power capable cpu, and that AMD FX chip is way too old to pull trough the task. You should retain the SSD and HDD as you can reuse them. The rest needs to go for a better platform. Something like this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200...
Revit... https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Revit-2017-products.html
Ideally you will need a strong multicore compute power capable cpu, and that AMD FX chip is way too old to pull trough the task. You should retain the SSD and HDD as you can reuse them. The rest needs to go for a better platform. Something like this...

Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.89 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $760.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 14:09 EDT-0400

Solution

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hellfire13-
Thanks - if I wanted to knock like $200-250 out of that budget, do you think it's doable, or is it not worth it? Will I need to buy another copy of Windows 10? That was the first place I thought I might be able to cut my costs (if I don't have to buy a new Windows license).

Purchase a license and activate Windows down the line... https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
And dont go below this, else it might struggle to keep up...

Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.79 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $645.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-17 13:17 EDT-0400