Question New card for new monitor?

David Knapp

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
I would like to upsize my 7 year old Samsung 23" monitor to a 27" monitor. The current monitor is 2048 x 1152, 71.1 khz 60 hz. It works fine for what I do, just a bit too small.

I edit photos on my iPad once in a while, but that is too small for Photoshop work. My video card is an AMD R7 370, also about 7 years old. If I get a newer, higher resolution monitor, will I also need to get a new card? I would like a new monitor to look as sharp and clear as the iPad. I don't think I need a 4K monitor but I don't have much to compare the old one with. I do mostly office apps, some light Photoshop and video editing, almost never any games. No curved screens. The system is a homebuilt, with an Asus P7P55D-E motherboard, 16GB ram, Samsung SSD 840 boot drive and some added hard drives. I don't want to buy a whole new system. I am thinking a good 2K or QuadHD VA monitor. I have a BB in town, but it does not stock many monitors to look at. The nearest Microcenter is an hour's drive away. I would like to see before buying.

So, would welcome suggestions for monitors and cards.