[SOLVED] New case pins don’t fit motherboard

Feb 15, 2019
Hi guys, I have a new case and the power sw, reset sw, HD, -P and +P pins on the case don’t fit what I’m assuming is a dumb proprietary dell motherboard connection. Where do these bad boys go? See attached pics.

Thanks!
2v16zxs.jpg
hx9qic.jpg

Solution
So here is some good info about these dell proprietary pin-out

0optiPWR2.jpg.1f9ce1ae869f8728073a3d4d6c8d45f0.jpg

Note the arrangement of the two LEDs

L.E. And i've messed up the dimensions, common is the 2.54mm spacing, and the slimmer ones (that is most proably on your dell) is 2mm

Either way you probably need some 2mm pitch pin headers 2x3 and pins and some crimping/soldering action to replace what you have now (also take care about the diagram)
Such connectors are found in most electronic stores and cost very little. (and can find even the 2x3 config of pins, or at least 2pin line, also don't...
Feb 15, 2019
Anyone else happen to know which pins I can use? I’m not sure if it will mess anything up plugging in backwards/randomly, so I haven’t tried any others.

Thanks!

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
What dell motherboard? look in the manual for pinout. Post here the exact model to figure out the pinout.

As for mounting, are those pins closer and slimmer? there are all sorts of pin headers.
The most used is the pin header 2mm spaced (this is what you have on the cable form the case)
Measure the pitch of the pins in the motherboard as accurate as you can (either 1mm or 1.27mm, or 2mm for normal headers or others use the JST connector that can be 1mm, or 1.25mm, or 1.5mm, or 2mm). Also not the thickness of the pins and source the appropriate connector for them.
If you have 2mm pitch you are in luck since you just need to figure the correct pinout (from the manual) and connect them. If the header on MB is different pitch then you will need the right pitch connector and pins and a crimper for the new pins and some handy work to swap the connectors on the case cables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

Feb 15, 2019
And yes good catch! Those pins are much closer so 2x 2pin connectors actually don’t fit side by side.

I wonder if I’ll still get the f1 on startup just with the power sw plugged in.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
So here is some good info about these dell proprietary pin-out

0optiPWR2.jpg.1f9ce1ae869f8728073a3d4d6c8d45f0.jpg

Note the arrangement of the two LEDs

L.E. And i've messed up the dimensions, common is the 2.54mm spacing, and the slimmer ones (that is most proably on your dell) is 2mm

Either way you probably need some 2mm pitch pin headers 2x3 and pins and some crimping/soldering action to replace what you have now (also take care about the diagram)
Such connectors are found in most electronic stores and cost very little. (and can find even the 2x3 config of pins, or at least 2pin line, also don't forget to get the pins for that connector, and also look for other headers present on you motherboard since this is header for power switch only, not the reset sw, and not the hdd led, you might want to connect those too)

Last edited:
Solution