Sep 8, 2024
hi guys,
I have to change case of a PC:
i9 14900k
rtx 4090
asus rog strix z790-e
corsair vengeance ddr5 32x2

the case should be compatible with 420mm AIO

In your opinion, which one of the best case could it be?
that doesn't have a very high price
thanks

the best cases I've worked with recently have been produced by Lian Li & be quiet!.

the be quiet! Shadow Base 800 is currently ~$80 on Amazon.
a very nice deal for a very nice case with 420mm options.

the be quiet! Silent Base 802 has been my favorite to build in for a couple years now.
the Lian Li LanCool III is also very nice to work with.

Reactions: natan090
Be careful when you use 420 radiator it can make a difference how tall memory you can use and if your video card will fit depending on where you put the radiator.

This guy does not like the shadow base 800 and one concern is that 420 don't fit.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=yLPf1u38JsE

There are cases like many from lian li than allow you to mount the motherboard lower so the radiator does not overlap when you top mount.

Mostly on cases is get one you like more than anything else. Avoid ones that do not have lots of mesh panels. Some people like glass fish bowl cases but all that glass makes it hard to get good air flow.

Sep 1, 2024
I managed to get a Fractal Design meshify 2 for 60 quid with 2x 140z at the front and a 120 at the back, i placed another 120 at the top but set it back and tested the airflow with an incense stick, fantastic result.
It looks like it can support an extended but you will have to double check that, however it comes in a mini or XL but your budget can strain a bit there. Im not a fan of fish tank and fairy lights and Fractal seem to be able to produce practical quality at a low price point if thats any use to you.

triplex1

Proper
Jun 2, 2024
the lights are for the Christmas tree and not for the computers, most motherboards already have lights, so from then on it becomes abuse and only

What is your current case?
Why do you think you need to change it?
In what way is it not doing the job?

What is your current cpu cooler?

Is your motherboard bios current?

I might add that a 480 sized radiator may not be needed unless you are into high level overclocking.

what changes between Shadow Base 800 and 802?
a few design changes between the Shadow Base & Silent Base series.
look at them both and see.
This guy does not like the shadow base 800 and one concern is that 420 don't fit.
if you search, you will find a few images of builds featuring the cheaper Shadow Base 800 with a 420mm basic AIO where they fit fine.
the previously posted youtuber's video is using the Shadow Base 800 DX, which is a different case.

Sep 8, 2024
thanks everyone for the replies.
there are plenty of case with lots of lights or lots of glass, there is confusion with all this choice of case, sometimes the aesthetics shown in the photos risks making us choose a less functional model
The ideal would be to get a case that is as functional as possible and can be adapted to future modifications of the components.

the PC belongs to a friend of mine, it has a fairly dated case (not that much), I couldn't tell you the precise model.
cpu cooler: cooler master 360mm
temperatures are a little high 99°C/210° F (during editing or rendering)
he wanted to get a 420 heatsink and change case.

Obviously the ideal would be to take a case for future modifications too, more compatibility is the best choice.

Do you think a Noctua NH-D15 can cool the i9 14900k without overclocking?

the aesthetics shown in the photos risks making us choose a less functional model
that is why you would take the time to actually check out each case keeping it's design, options, and reviews in mind when making a final decision.

just going by some random forum member's or YouTuber's recommendation will usually lead to some buyer's remorse or worse.

Last edited: