Question New Cases with Preinstalled Front Fans and Rear Fan

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi. There are cases that come with preinstalled fans in front and one in the rear.
Normally do 2 or 3 front fans connect to 1 3-PIN connector with splitter that comes
with them or they connect to 3 3-PIN connectors individually?

Also does rear fan require free 3-PIN connector available?

Thanks.

Depends on the case but yes you can use a splitter for the front fans onto one header and the rear fan tends to use one fan header that is closest to it...

Some cases come with there own fan hubs as well...what case are you looking at and what is your budget for a case...

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Cougar MX330 versus Cooler Master MasterBox MB511

The latter already has 3 fans in front but Cougar MX330 is like twice cheaper in my country, though it has only 1 rear fan and I need many fans.

However I can add 3 front fans to it with 2 top fans and it will be same price as MasterBox MB511, only missing 2 top fans. If I add $23 I would be able to install those 2 top fans.

Partial system specification: CPU Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler, Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, GPU Radeon RX 5700 XT or 1660 Ti or used 1070 Ti (haven't decided yet)

Cougar MX330 versus Cooler Master MasterBox MB511

The latter already has 3 fans in front but Cougar MX330 is like twice cheaper in my country, though it has only 1 rear fan and I need many fans.

However I can add 3 front fans to it with 2 top fans and it will be same price as MasterBox MB511, only missing 2 top fans. If I add $23 I would be able to install those 2 top fans.

Partial system specification: CPU Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler, Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, GPU Radeon RX 5700 XT or 1660 Ti or used 1070 Ti (haven't decided yet)

I would go with the Cougar as it has a mesh front which will be great for airflow and will keep your system cool though just keep it clear of dust and blow out the dust from the filters every once in a while...

Also just buy some additional fans for the front and a splitter and you will have more than enough cooling. As to GPU just in case, my thoughts would be the 5700XT as it is the best out of the ones you have listed and I would always buy the best I can afford as it will do the best job now and going forward...only thing better would be the RTX 2070 Super but that costs a fair bit more but the 5700Xt is more than powerful enough even for 1440p gaming.

Reactions: Boris_yo

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I see. How do I know that motherboard will have enough 3-PIN connections
to support additional fans in chassis? From Gigabyte's website about B450
Aorus Elite, it mentions:

- "4 Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP"

Are these actual 3-PIN connectors?
If so, what does "hybrid fan" mean and what is "fan stop"?

Thanks.

Hi apologies for the delay my kids took over....With the Gigabyte motherboard you get 4 hybrid fan headers these are all headers that can accept 3 pin and 4 pin PWM fans...so both 3 pin and 4 pin fans. Basically these are the best headers as they can control the fan speeds...and you have 4 separate fan headers on the board so you can connect multiple fans.

It depends, you will have good control via BIOS and the Gigabyte APP (I prefer BIOS and set to quiet and forget as the BIOS through PWM will automatically ramp up the fans as the temps rise) and if your chassis has a PWM connector then you can control fans that way as well.