Question New Cat6A wiring job, anything wrong here?

yanksno1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi, so I'm planning out a new Cat6A wiring job. I'm going to have it run to my closet (pic below) and run to all rooms, different access points, and other things I might want to hook up over POE. Eventually I'll prob Ubiquiti setup, but right now just gonna run on 1GB. Since I want to future proof, I'm doing Cat6A. Here's what I'm planning on getting, anything wrong here?

Rack (measured, will fit)
Cat6A cable
Patch panel
Cat6A Keystone Jack's (my installer will provide the wall plate's)
Surge protector
Server Rack Shelf (maybe 2)

I think everything is pretty good there. Am I missing anything? Everything should work well together here right?

IMG-6287.jpg

They key thing is running quality wire and your cable look very good. It is pure copper wire size 23awg.

The hard part of a project like this is getting all the wires run not so much the technical part. Professionals tend to be very skilled at getting wires run in very hard to access locations without making a mess of your walls. Make sure you have wires run for anything you can think of since it tends to be much more costly to have them come out and run just 1 extra cable.

What you list will be fine. You of course need a switch and a bunch of short patch cables.

If you really want to be fancy you could have a electrical outlet extended to cabinet to avoid a extension cord.

Reactions: yanksno1

yanksno1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I'll suggest getting the same brand wallplates and keystones. Sometimes you can get lucky with compatibility, but it's annoying when jacks fall into the wall when you try to use them.''''
Thanks! I just double checked with my installer if he had any brand preference for the keystones to match the wallplates and said I can use any ones I want. Just to get the color I wanted haha, and his were white (which was great for me).

They key thing is running quality wire and your cable look very good. It is pure copper wire size 23awg.

The hard part of a project like this is getting all the wires run not so much the technical part. Professionals tend to be very skilled at getting wires run in very hard to access locations without making a mess of your walls. Make sure you have wires run for anything you can think of since it tends to be much more costly to have them come out and run just 1 extra cable.

What you list will be fine. You of course need a switch and a bunch of short patch cables.

If you really want to be fancy you could have a electrical outlet extended to cabinet to avoid a extension cord.
Yeah that wire 23AWG, so think I'm good there. Just gotta decide on what color to get haha. Yellow's my favorite, but also could just go with basic black.

Yeah, my installer already ran some speaker wire in the ceiling's that other installers didn't want to do. I was very happy with the work. He's also going to install more speaker wire, and another subwoofer cable in my living room as well. I'm fairly confidence he's gonna only open up ones that are necessary. After talking it over with him, I added a couple more in spots I thought camera's would go. Think I'm squared away there.

Got a link to a electrical outlet extended it to the cabinet? My searching skills are failing me here looking for it.

Yeah, def have to get another switch and some patch cables.

Battery backup is a tripp lite 1500VA

It has 8 ports on the back, 3 of them are used by the ubiquiti equipment, There is a Metro net Fiber modem mounted on the wall just to the right just out of picture that is plugged in, and my water softener is just out of sight to the left that is plugged into it.

yanksno1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Battery backup is a tripp lite 1500VA

It has 8 ports on the back, 3 of them are used by the ubiquiti equipment, There is a Metro net Fiber modem mounted on the wall just to the right just out of picture that is plugged in, and my water softener is just out of sight to the left that is plugged into it.
Thanks! Yeah looked at that one earlier too, was deciding between that and just the normal surge protector I listed. Obviously a lot more pricier, but would be nice to have a battery on the equipment. I'm also going to move my Unraid Desktop sever up there that'd I'd want to hook into it. Decisions, decisions haha. I did just buy the Ubiquiti patch panel, the first of many purchases!

lol oh its a rabbit hole, once you get into the ubiquiti echo system you'll wonder why it took you so long to get their equipment.

I highly recommend if you start getting their switch's to get a dream machine. Managing all the devices is way easier the the dream machine then hosting the app on a computer.

I work for a smaller company that has a cisco meraki / hp switch setup. Ive slowly have been replacing all the switches and AP with ubiquiti and its a pain doing everything on the hosted client. Cant wait to replace the firewall with a dream machine.

Reactions: yanksno1

yanksno1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
lol oh its a rabbit hole, once you get into the ubiquiti echo system you'll wonder why it took you so long to get their equipment.

I highly recommend if you start getting their switch's to get a dream machine. Managing all the devices is way easier the the dream machine then hosting the app on a computer.

I work for a smaller company that has a cisco meraki / hp switch setup. Ive slowly have been replacing all the switches and AP with ubiquiti and its a pain doing everything on the hosted client. Cant wait to replace the firewall with a dream machine.

Yup, it sure is a rabbit hole. Don't have anything 10GB right now, so nothing to take advantage of that yet. It's more about getting Ethernet in all the places right now. I think I'm just going to get a cheap switch to hold me over. My eero (gen 1 mind you haha) is still chugging along doing a well enough job. Plus I still gotta buy the equipment I listed earlier, and then get a painter to come back in and patch everything up. So gonna hold off for a little bit before I go full Ubiquiti. Right now it's about putting the infrastructure in place for it when I'm ready to do that.

TRENDING THREADS