News New Chrome Version Will Support Nvidia 4K Upscaling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Haters gonna hate.
AyyMD haters, I would add. For some people if their favourite brand doesn't have a certain feature then that feature is useless, until it's not because it was adopted by their favourite brand as well.
Gaming or "workstation"-class often do, but the lower-end laptops and the ultra-thin don't.

No matter how efficient a dGPU is, it always adds bulk, weight, cost, and power-consumption.
They're bound to become more common in the 1000€+ ultra-thin segment, for instance there are already options like the Swift X that comes with an RTX 3050. The MX series might very well get replaced by low end RTX GPUs with low TDP.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Probably not much. Certainly not compared to gaming on that same card.
If a RTX 3050 can do the exact same quality upconversion as its bigger brothers, then I'd agree that certainly more powerful cards won't really break a sweat during video playback.

I'm looking forward to some empirical measurements, though.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
For some people if their favourite brand doesn't have a certain feature then that feature is useless, until it's not because it was adopted by their favourite brand as well.
Yeah, but there are definitely some folks who are equal-opportunity haters. They seem to reflexively scoff at virtual any sort of fancy new tech.

I'm not really sure why. Maybe it somehow challenges their worldview that there's nothing truly new, and that everything is just a variation or evolution of what they know from the past. It's a little weird for people like that to follow a tech site, which is devoted precisely to covering such developments, but for whatever reason they do...

Reactions: TJ Hooker