New computer advice

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I own an embroidery business. I have top level digitizing software which I just upgraded. My current computer does not meet the specs and while the software will run, it's slow and crashes a lot. Sometimes a few times a day and sometimes more than a few times an hour, depending on what I'm doing. I have the minimum specs for the software. It looks like I need to be looking for a gaming computer and probably build my own (son can put it all together). I've spent more than to many hours online trying to find a desktop or laptop that fit the specs and so far, no luck. Part of it is that I really don't know enough about all the specs to make a good decision, mostly on the video card. Here are the minimum spec:

-64-bit 3.0 GHz Quad Core Genuine Intel Processor (prefer faster than 3GHz)
-Microsoft Windows® 10 (64-bit) (prefer Pro)
-Video Card NVidia® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB GDDR5 Graphics memory (or comparable)
-CD-ROM drive
-4 GB RAM (would prefer at least 16GB RAM)
-At least one Universal Serial Bus (USB) Port, but really need at least 4, but more would be nice.
-ability to connect to LAN so I can network my embroidery machines.

For my requirements:
- as small form factor as possible or a laptop. My space is very limited.
- ability to connect at least 2 monitors

approximately what am I looking at price wise here so I can set a budget. Where should I be looking for parts.

Thanks,
Alisa

Solution
This should meet your requirements but your going to want to make sure the GPU connections will work for all of your monitors.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB ACX 2.0 Video Card...

WildCard999

Titan
This should meet your requirements but your going to want to make sure the GPU connections will work for all of your monitors.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($159.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($77.96 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($85.43 @ OutletPC)
Total: $799.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-08 14:36 EST-0500

Solution

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I'm with you on everything but the processor speed. It's probably that I just don't understand CPU's, but in the title, I see 2.8 GHz, but then down in the description, I see "3.70 GHz up to 4.70 GHz Max Turbo Frequency / 12 MB Cache". I'm more software than hardware, so have a surface understanding of most things computer, but not the intricacies of the capabilities of the different components.

WildCard999

Titan
It says 2.8 but will boost each processor as needed. So for single core performance the core will boost to 4ghz, if the program is using 3-4 cores then it will boost to around 3.8, if it's all 6 cores they will boost above 3ghz but I don't know the exact number. Pretty much it boost CPU cores based on what's required.

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Thank you for the explanation. I think that essentially what you're saying is that the Turbo speeds give a better indication of overall processor speed, so I don't need to spend the extra $$ on a processor that actually has 3.0+ in the title.

WildCard999

Titan

Correct.

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
As far as monitor connectors, I had to get a little creative with adapters to get it all to work on my current setup. So, even if the GPU connections aren't exactly right, I'm assuming I can work around that. I do need to check both monitors to see what the connectors are on each one.

WildCard999

Titan

That would be a good idea, if you do have to use adapters they need to be active to work with the 10XX series GPU's.

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I have one more question and that's on the operating system. I want to be able to connect to this computer from home so I can work from home, without having to slog my security device (aka dongle) back and forth. About $5K to replace if I loose it, so I don't want to loose it. So, that said, I think Windows 10 Pro would be what I want. SO... OEM or Full. Is there any difference in the actual OS, other than the delivery (download vs. usb drive) and customer support?

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I think it's just easier to do with Pro, but I tend to agree that Home will work. I'm going to try setting it up on my current computer situation and see how hard it is before baseball season gear.

Dancing Bay

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
I found this memory while filling my cart at New Egg... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233831. On sale for next 7 days listed in the top 12 of best ddr4 ram for 2019 at picochip.com. Checked that it is compatible with the motherboard in your recommendations.

Is there a reason that the ADATA ram would be better for my needs? or will the Corsair be a better choice seeing as it's on sale right now.

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
This computer is built and in use. However, my embroidery software is still crashing. I've looked at Hardware Resources > Conflict/Sharing and there are a few conflicts. PCI-to-PCI Bridge.

I took a screen shot, but cannot figure out how to attach it.

Thanks,
Alisa Davis
Dancing Bay Embroidery

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
conflicts.PNG