[SOLVED] New computer and OS, using the SSD from old computer as storage

Feb 25, 2021
We are getting a new system, leaving the 10 year old Windows 7 system and moving to Windows 10. The new machine comes with a 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and a 500GB HDD, Windows 10 installed.; the older machine has one storage drive, a 3 year old 1TB Samsung SSD. After doing a clean install of Windows 10 on the new machine's NVMe SSD I'd like to replace the HDD with the Samsung SSD from the old machine, using it as the storage drive.

I'd like to keep the programs/applications, etc. that are there on the current SSD except for the Windows 7 OS. What things can I remove from that SSD and still have things work OK? I'm assuming I want to keep all the things under "Users" and the Programs but I'm guessing there's more. I've attached a couple of screenshots of the current contents of the SSD.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrogc06n0jwpopf/Screenshot 2021-02-25 08.38.44.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/etz3z4wq622edi6/Screenshot 2021-02-25 08.38.57.png?dl=0

Sorry if that rambled a bit or is a very basic question. If there's a better approach to this or way to do it, please share. If it's better to just reinstall programs/apps and just keep my "stuff" (documents, pictures, videos, music, etc.) is that all just under Users or are things located in other places. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I'd like to keep the programs/applications, etc. that are there on the current SSD except for the Windows 7 OS.
No can do.

The OS on the new system can't run those applications from a different OS.
Even if they were both Win 10.

Even the things in the /Users/ folder tree will be problematic. Those exist under the permissions of the old users.
You'll have to delve into TakeOwnership for static files like Doc/Music/Pictures/etc.

USAFRet

Titan
I'd like to keep the programs/applications, etc. that are there on the current SSD except for the Windows 7 OS.
No can do.

The OS on the new system can't run those applications from a different OS.
Even if they were both Win 10.

Even the things in the /Users/ folder tree will be problematic. Those exist under the permissions of the old users.
You'll have to delve into TakeOwnership for static files like Doc/Music/Pictures/etc.

Solution