New computer boots but bluescreens at windows logo.

MaxieMooCow

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I just put together my new pc
mobo: MSI H81M-P33
CPU: G3258
GPU: GTX550ti
Ram: Corsair Vengance 2x4gb (8GB)

For some reason when i boot the pc it starts off normally ( i can go to bios if i want) but as it is about to start loading windows it bluescreens. I've launch startup repair a few times but nothings changed.

Solution
I've never had a MSI motherboard so I dont know how the bios is setup but basically you want to set your sata to ide, it's probably set to ahci. At least thats what it sounds like, I had a problem like this when I upgraded my mb a while ago.

petek480

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I've never had a MSI motherboard so I dont know how the bios is setup but basically you want to set your sata to ide, it's probably set to ahci. At least thats what it sounds like, I had a problem like this when I upgraded my mb a while ago.

Solution

petek480

Reputable
May 6, 2015
The boot file can still be found, it doesnt effect how the drive is read. The reason you get the bsod when its set to achi is because windows was installed when it was set to ide and it's setup for ide so it crashes when it tries to boot into windows. You change it to ide mode then you actually can boot up to windows, go into your registry and change one entry and then you can change it back to achi and it'll work.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8907/MSI%20970G%20BIOS%2008%20-%20Integrated%20Peripherals.jpg

The setting you want to change it the sata mode one.