New Computer Build - Won't Boot With Graphics Card Connected

Outlier_81

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
3rd time building a PC. I had everything connected, everything would power up, but would not get a boot.

I checked all the connections, disconnected/reconnected everything, reseated ram, still no boot. All the fans were running (including for the graphics card).

Removed my graphics card and got to the bios start screen.

Does this indicate that there's a problem with the card? Or is there more troubleshooting to be done in order to locate the problem?

The Build:

- Asrock Z170M PRO4S
- Intel i5 6600k
- Gigabyte GTX960
- Corsair 16gb DDR4
- Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
- Corsair CXM 650W

Solution
so if u r able to get into bios with d integrated gpu but not d dedicated one, then u have a faulty card there...
it shd be under waranty...

Outlier_81

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Well I've had the monitor plugged into the motherboard DVI since the first attempt. (I first tried in the GPU, but after the first attempt to boot it I switched it to the mobo thinking it was the problem.)

However still had the problem until I completely unplugged the GPU. Just want to make sure that's what the issue is before I attempt to replace the gpu.

So you are saying that when you removed the GTX 960 card from the Pci-e graphics card slot.
And reverted to the motherboards video solution the system powered up. and displayed the bios post.

It indicates that you should go into the bios of the motherboard.
And change the default graphics card to initialize first to the Pci-e graphics card.

Pci-e as the interface mode selected.

If you can disable the motherboard video solution at the same time do so.

Make sure if the bios is Uefi capable, that you choose advanced mode for the next step bellow .

All set ?

Look for an option in your bios that says CSM mode.

Set it to enabled or Manual mode.

For the detection of hardware and devices select the mode Legacy op rom / Uefi mode.

Save the new settings before you exit the bios.

Power the system off and insert the Pci-e based graphics card into the Pci-e card slot of the motherboard.
Making sure it is seated flush in the slot.

Now screw the cards bracket to the case, and before you tighten the screw tight lift the card up over slightly towards the top of the case if stood up right, Then tighten the screw tight.

Connect the required 12v six pin Pci-e power from the power supply unit to the GTX 960 card six pin plug on the card.
Check to make sure you have connected the eight pin 12v E-ATX power block from the power supply unit to the motherboard located right at the top edge of the board just above the gold heatsink fitted to the motherboard.
The connector is black in color, and easy to miss.

Make sure the 24 pin main 12v ATX power block to the motherboard is also firmly seated in it`s socket on the motherboard from the power supply unit.

Turn the system on by the front case power switch.

Should work then Outlier_81

Outlier_81

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Is this what you're referring to? by changing the default graphics card to initialize first to the Pci-e graphics card?

vlV3dQS.jpg

Outlier_81

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
That's what I did originally, unless I'm confusing what you're saying.

Originally on my first boot I had the monitor hooked up to the graphics card. Nothing on boot (everything powered up though).

Then I plugged it into the motherboard port, nothing on boot (everything still powered up like normal).

Then I fully disconnected the graphics card and then I got the boot set-up screen.

Outlier_81

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
What you're referring to is what's in the image I uploaded right? If so, that's how the setting already was. I didn't see any other settings referring to the gpu or pcie slot.