I brought parts to build a new computer I put it all together the fans and motherboard lights came on but there is black screen and no post. I have internal speaker and there was no beep. I think it is the motherboard or CPU as I bought them used. I also bought the ram used but I don't think that the problem as there would be a beep and it is consair which is a good brand. Please help as only eleven days until I return is no longer possible
I am referring you to our basic trouble shooting thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Work through the list. WORK! not just read!
If you still have issues, come back here with the results of EACH step in the list. Since we can neither see nor touch your PC, the results of working the list gives us valuable information that will allow us to give a reasoned diagnosis. Help us to help you!
P.S. COMPLETE system specs of all of your components would be helpful, also.
1. Read the motherboard manual
2. Plugged in CPU connecter
3. I have it placed on a motherboard box so no standoffs
4. Video card fully seat
5. No power connecters required for GPU get power from PCI x16 slot
6. Only have one stick of so yes booted with one stick of ram
7. Ram fully seated
8. Tryed all ram slot not booting or beeping
9. Removed plastic guard
10. CPU correctly installed
11. No bent pins checked
12. No thermal paste on motherboard, CPU socket or pins
13. CPU fan plugged in
14. Stock cooler free of foreign material and no protective cover was removed
15. No loose screws on motherboard
16. Touched the power supply which is plunged in and on to discharge any static electricity
17. Yes installed system speaker
18. Install front panel connecters properly
19. PSU switch is on on the back
20. CPU is believed to be compatible
21. Reset the bios took out CMOS battery for 7mim and put it back in. I found the CMOS battery fell out of the motherboard during ship might be cause
22. Tried integrated HDMI port no boot or beep
23. All cables and component are tight within there sockets
With the system speaker installed, a normal POST would give 1 beep. With ram removed and Still no beeps, then there is a problem with either the CPU or the motherboard. My guess is the motherboard, as they go bad more often than CPUs.
I took the heatshink off the CPU and turned on the system. I place my hand on the CPU and it was getting hotter for sure I turned the system off quickly so not to let the CPU get too hot. Does this mean CPU is working as if the cpu was dead there would be no heat coming from it