New Computer installing GPU but not working...

Sep 9, 2018
Hi all. I just finished building my first gaming computer. I have an ASUS mobo (B450-F), AMD Ryzen 5 2600x CPU, and an ASUS gpu (GTX 1080). Having a pretty annoying issue. I install Windows OS (10 Home 64-bit). Everything works fine on first glance. When I try to install the GPU driver from ASUS (and I've also used the disc which comes with the gpu) my system starts acting up. By 'acting up' I mean all my open windows close and I become stuck on my desktop screen unable to open anything. After 10+mins of waiting, I restart the computer. If I allow the computer to go past BIOS and Windows to begin booting, the computer screen goes black and nothing happens. BIOS does continue to work however. To get back onto the computer, I'm forced to re-install Windows. I'm a total rookie with this stuff. Is there something obvious I am missing here? Any help with be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Sep 9, 2018

Only that my shortcuts seem to have disappeared. Just the standard blue windows wallpaper showing up without any shortcuts. The windows I originally had opened appear in the bottom toolbar but am unable to open them beyond hovering over it and it showing me what page I was on.

press on your keyboard key with windows logo on it + P
if u wont see it hit 1 time arrow down on keyboard and press enter
it should work by now

if not, then theres explanation to your situation, your GPU is registering your current monitor as second monitor (not main)
u could try different ports on your GPU, eitherway its weird glitch as those ports should have presence detect pins on it

Sep 9, 2018

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Can you let me know what I just did? I have my screen back now!

Sep 9, 2018

Honestly, I don't think I have... I guess I should do that as well! Very much a rookie over here haha. I imagine I download from ASUS for the mobo (it's ASUS branded) but Nvidia for the GPU?