Ok, new computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64

Mobo: Asus Maximus Hero XI wifi

CPU: Intel i7-9700k

GPU: EVGA GTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

PSU: Corsair HX1200 1200W

RAM: G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 32gb

Also a Corsair H100i v2 CPU cooler

So I was using the computer today, was playing a game for about 3 hours. No problem. Then I was messing around moving some files around, installing mundane software onto my new rig, CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller etc. Then I went to restart.

At the login screen, all of a sudden my monitors, keyboard and mouse all go dark, but the tower stays running. The system definitely isn't on and just not being displayed. It just sits there. Black. Again the tower is ON, everything else is off. If I turn it off and turn it back on, it will last anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes before it does it again. Monitors, mouse, keyboard off, tower stays on.

Windows is not creating a minidump file. I checked event viewer. It looks like event 161 before it crashes. Event 41 on subsequent startup.

161: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

Source: volmgr

41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: Kernal-Power

What I've tried so far:

Updated drivers

Set W10 to dump minidump file

Disabled fast boot

Researching around, I saw a pattern of people saying it's probably the PSU. Either faulty or underpowered. They got a new one, and it worked. So I took out my 850W and ordered a new one which arrived today. 1200W. Then the above happened. I played for like 3 hours, no problem, figured everything was fixed... Guess not.

It is notable that my first start up after building the rig, and my first startup after replacing the PSU both seemed fine. I had the rig on for a few hours no problem, only after restarting with either reset or on/off did it start making the rig almost unusable. Why would the first session run fine? I thought maybe it's temperature related but all temps are normal.

Anyways, any and all help is appreciated because I really am stuck here...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to take note of the BIOS your motherboard is currently on. If there are any BIOS updates pending, I'd suggest you'd do so, asap. Then take note of what version the OS is on. If you're on 1809, you're going to have to reinstall the OS with the latest version using a bootable installer made using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Mind sharing the make and model of the 850W PSU? How old is it?

xripx

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
You might want to take note of the BIOS your motherboard is currently on. If there are any BIOS updates pending, I'd suggest you'd do so, asap. Then take note of what version the OS is on. If you're on 1809, you're going to have to reinstall the OS with the latest version using a bootable installer made using Windows Media Creation Tools.

I will check today....

The PSU was brand new, Corsair RM850x. The 1200W I swapped in yesterday was also brand new. Corsair HX1200

Last edited:

xripx

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Ok, I'm on Windows 10 ver. 1903

My BIOS does have an update available which I'll attempt.

UPDATE: So I did 2 things. I renamed my Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old, as someone suggested to me elsewhere. And the second thing was update my BIOS. After all that, I had the computer on and I did various things, played a few games, moved files around etc... overall for about 2 hours. So far so good! I'll try another session later today and see if it does anything....

Last edited: