New computer underperforming with GTX1080 and Ryzen 7 2700

Jan 17, 2019
I have recently built my own new PC, and it was the first time Ive done something along these lines by myself. I installed everything correctly, but I still have been getting lots of frame drops and weird things like more graphical glitches/stuttering. It can range from unoptimized games like TF2 and NieR Automata, and even smaller indie games like A Hat In Time. Here are my specs...

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core (Am using stock CPU fan) 16 GB Ram Asus - Prime X470 -PRO Motherboard

I also ran my pc benchmarks, and I am running worse than 66 percent of the rest of people with my setup. Heres the benchmarks: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13910435

It seems that temps on both the cpu and 1080 seem to be relatively fine. I know the CPU sticks at around 50-55 degrees Celcius. It may have something to do with how I installed something, but Im not sure. I do think I should be getting better preformance from this. Thanks for the help!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't seem like your CPU is boosting properly. Your benchmark says the average clock speed is 3.3Ghz, while it should be closer to 4Ghz (Max boost is 4.1Ghz). While it isn't overheating, that is probably because it isn't running at full speed.

Check your cooler installation. And you should probably consider an aftermarket CPU cooler anyway. Also consider overclocking.

Keep in mind that most of the people that submit scores to sites like those are the more technically inclined and overclocked results may even be the majority for capable desktop CPUs.

Jan 17, 2019

I considered it but I wasn't sure if that was a neccessary thing for me to do. Id be willing to try it, but I am not sure if that would be 100% what is causing this issue.

Jan 17, 2019

I came from Intel, so you may just be right. Ill give it a try, thank you!

Jan 17, 2019
So I uninstalled windows, cleared my SSD and reinstalled windows. My benchmark is now saying that everything is good and that my computer is fine, but I am still getting frame drops in both A Hat in Time and TF2.