New computer won't boot....please help

Tom1004

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Just built new computer using MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 motherboard, intel Core 2 Duo 6750 cpu, XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB graphics card, 2x1 GB Patriot Extreme DDR2 1066 RAM, SATA hard drive and DVD, 620W power supply. I turned on power. Fans turn on. Motherboard power light turns on. It does not seem to make it to BIOS screen. No signal to monitor, no system status indicator lights on D-Bracket 2. The motherboard does not seem to be running any of its start-up routines. I reset CMOS, but with no visible effect. How do I get to BIOS screen so I can get past it to install operating system?

8/1/07: GREAT NEWS! It now works. I do not know exactly what solved the problem(s). I removed the video card. I detached all unnecessary components from the motherboard such as fans (except the CPU fan) and front port cables. I then removed the motherboard from the case and set it on the box the motherboard was packaged in. I noticed that the CPU cooler was not fully attached to the motherboard and fixed that. I placed the video card back on the motherboard and hooked up the monitor. I attached the power supply for the CPU, video card, and motherboard. I attached the power on/off cable from case. I then turned on power. The computer started up properly and stopped at the bios screen.

I looked in my case and noticed that 11 posts installed on the case, but the motherboard only needs 9 for attachment to the case. I heard alot about "shorting" the motherboard if it is not attached properly to the case. Perhaps the extra 2 posts were shorting it out. Well I removed the extras and attached the board back into the case with the correct 9 posts. (I did have to remove the video card again to attach MB back into case.)

Those were the only 2 issues I could find when working on my new computer. AND NOW IT WORKS! I would like to thank everyone who posted the helpful advice to my initial plea for help.

Nerd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
there have been several complaints from people with that same board with the same problems. Suggest you return it if you can and/or exchange it for some other brand.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Did you connec the 6-pin PCIe power cord to the graphics card? The same thing happened to me and that did the trick. You probably already looked over the wiring, but i'm just directing you to a specific place. It sounds like either a pcie issue on the mobo, or the card itself. Try substituting the gfx card out for another to see if its mobo related. If you get a screen with the other card, its your 8800gts, you'll have the rma it.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
reseat graphics card {take it out put it back in}

are any of the usb device lighting up? {if it is the mobo?}

newegg comment
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130081
DOA. No power to USBs, keyboard, PCI-express bus (and probably everything else). Will not post (as far as I can tell since there is no video output). Originally thought it was a power supply issue. Replaced power supply (with a brand new 700w) with no positive results. Cannot utilize the onboard diagnotic as no power is provided through the JDB1.
lots of red ink on this board
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P6N_SLI_Platinum&class=mb
Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 Eased Latency Dual Channel Kit
Memory Type: PC2-8500 DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 1066 Mhz
Timings: CL 5-5-5-9 Timings
Voltage: 2.3V