[SOLVED] New conf no post even after new motherboard

Dec 28, 2019
Hello, I'm not a native English speaker so I hope I don't make a lot of spelling error.
I recently bought PC parts to build my very first PC. After building it, putting it in the case without testing it (yup im dumb) I realised that there was no post, no bios, no beep whatsoever.
I tried a CMOS clear, switching RAM slot, dual and single, nothing not even a beep. Fans were on and LEDs of MB, GPU and RAM too.
After contacting Asus to help me out they said that because my LED are switching on and the fans too it was probably the BIOS that was not the right one (They said to update it to 2606), so I sent back my mobo to the company that sold it to me.
However the company that sells the mobo just send me back a new one. So I tried once again to get a post. Placing CPU, cooler, RAM, GPU then PSU, booting with a screwdriver but still no post.
Fans are on, cooler is making noise and LED are making beautiful lights as if it was Christmas.... oh.
Anyway guess what still no boot nor post.
So I tried again a CMOS clear, unplugged the PSU, remove the mobo battery then waited about 8 minutes or so.
I also tried removing the RAM sticks but I have no sound, maybe it's just the mobo that don't make beep, idk.
So I started wondering if there's a chance that I had 2 faulty mobo or I'm dumb.. Or even worse it's the CPU or less worse the PSU
Also, note that the CPU I have does not have an integrated GPU so I have to place my RTX to have any hope of post.
I don't have any more ideas so I am asking here if anyone know what is the problem with me or the PC.
Thanks a lot!
Config :
CPU : I5 9600 KF
MB : Asus TUF Z390 PLUS GAMING
RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB C15 8x2 3000 MHz
GPU : Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8 OC (the one with 3 vents)
PSU : Corsair RMX 750x
I also have an SSD and HDD but they are not relevent, I think...

Edit : It was because I didn't connected the 8 pins of the CPU... First timer mistake I guess..
However if you have an issue read the comments below it might help you since some help was provided for different possibilities.

Last edited:
Solution
Things you need to check
  1. Check the QVR list for tested RAM against the ram you have used
  2. Check on the CPU list what version of the BIOS is required to support your CPU
  3. Check both power plugs are connected to the motherboard from the PSU, the 8 pin one connected to the PSU CPU 8 pin plug and the 24 pin power plug which is normally hard wired into the PSU
Using 1 or 2 ram sticks in the default slots as per the mboard instruction manual

Unplug everything else apart from your CPU cooler
so you just have RAM, CPU & Cooler and PSU (No monitor, gpu etc)

Then boot it up

Take note and log what LED's on the motherboard light up, in what order and whether they stay on or go off.
If your motherboard has a speaker (Most do not)...
Dec 26, 2019
Things you need to check
  2. Check on the CPU list what version of the BIOS is required to support your CPU
  3. Check both power plugs are connected to the motherboard from the PSU, the 8 pin one connected to the PSU CPU 8 pin plug and the 24 pin power plug which is normally hard wired into the PSU
Using 1 or 2 ram sticks in the default slots as per the mboard instruction manual

Then boot it up

Take note and log what LED's on the motherboard light up, in what order and whether they stay on or go off.
If your motherboard has a speaker (Most do not) log any beeps you hear

Then report back.

typical LED sequence for a successful boot is
  1. CPU LED On then off
  2. DRAM LED On then Off
3)_VGA LED On then off
4) BOOT LED

I suspect your boot up process will stick on an orange DRAM LED
If it posts to VGA LED then stick your GPU in and connect up a monitor

If it does stick on the DRAM orange light then this best guess is either an incompatibility with the CPU or the RAM and will most likely need a bios update which if it isn't posting to BIOS you cannot do with your current hardware. (Small chance it could be a cpu issue as the memory chip is onboard the cpu)
Your cpu i believe does not have onboard graphics, however until you can get it to fully post you are not likely to have any video output

Things you can try that aren't that expensive
1) Remove all your current ram, Buy a single stick of 4GB cheap slow ram that is on the QVR list plug that in, clear the cmos and power up and see what you get.
If it doesn't post, RMA the board

I have a new build on a z390-A with a similar issue, not posting to BIOS.
If you contact ASUS with your PPID number they will be able to tell you what BIOS version was shipped with your board.

Solution
Dec 28, 2019
Things you need to check

Then boot it up

Then report back.

1. CPU LED On then off
  2. DRAM LED On then Off
3)_VGA LED On then off
4) BOOT LED

If it does stick on the DRAM orange light then this best guess is either an incompatibility with the CPU or the RAM and will most likely need a bios update which if it isn't posting to BIOS you cannot do with your current hardware. (Small chance it could be a cpu issue as the memory chip is onboard the cpu)
Your cpu i believe does not have onboard graphics, however until you can get it to fully post you are not likely to have any video output

1) Remove all your current ram, Buy a single stick of 4GB cheap slow ram that is on the QVR list plug that in, clear the cmos and power up and see what you get.

If you contact ASUS with your PPID number they will be able to tell you what BIOS version was shipped with your board.
Thanks a lot, I'll try that as soon as possible!

Dec 28, 2019
Things you need to check

Then boot it up

Then report back.

1. CPU LED On then off
  2. DRAM LED On then Off
3)_VGA LED On then off
4) BOOT LED

According to the QVL of asus that I found here : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...AMING/TUF_Z390-PLUS_GAMIG_Memory_QVL_Z390.pdf
My RAM is not supported
It starts with CMW while there are no sign of it in this list

Dec 28, 2019
Yes, you have to connect both 24 and 8 pin power cables to the board. The 8 pin does power the CPU.
Oh no so that's why there's a huge 'CPU' on it huh... I going to try before swapping my RAM sticks tomorrow with a friend...
If this does work I might have been an actual idiot...