Question New CPU and Motherboard -- no POST & red cpu light on motherboard

Oct 7, 2020
I just got an intel core i3 10100 and a B460 Aorus Pro AC motherboard because I wanted to upgrade from my old motherboard and processor so I could run games like call of duty at a higher frame rate. I made sure I plugged in everything correctly all fans are running even gpu fans when I turn the pc on but it just won’t post. Please help. I will respond to any other questions you may have about the build in a reasonable time frame.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

since it's an upgrade from an older system, we'll be seeing a before and after specs list. Which slots are you populating on your motherboard for rams? How old is the PSU?

Oct 7, 2020
I just got an intel core i3 10100 and a B460 Aorus Pro AC motherboard because I wanted to upgrade from my old motherboard and processor so I could run games like call of duty at a higher frame rate. I made sure I plugged in everything correctly all fans are running even gpu fans when I turn the pc on but it just won’t post. Please help. I will respond to any other questions you may have about the build in a reasonable time frame.
Old System Specs:
Cpu: Intel Core i7-3770
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Ram: Some miscellaneous ddr3 ram that I had from older pc
Hd: WD Blue 500gb hard drive
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660ti
Psu: Insignia NS-PCW5508 (550W)
Case: Thermaltake V200

New Specs:
Cpu: Intel Core i3 10100 (10th gen)
Motherboard: B460 Aorus Pro AC
Ram:V-Color Skywalker series DDR4 (2x8gb) in 2nd and 4th slot which is where the motherboard says to put them in first
Hd: WD Blue 500gb hard drive (same as previous build)
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660ti (same as previous build)
Psu: Insignia NS-PCW5508 (550W) (same as previous build)
Case: Thermaltake V200 (same as previous build)

Oct 7, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

since it's an upgrade from an older system, we'll be seeing a before and after specs list. Which slots are you populating on your motherboard for rams? How old is the PSU?
I just posted all specs of old pc (working) and upgraded pc (not working)

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Let's start with the basics. Try one stick of RAM at a time and see if you can post with one stick of RAM test both RAM chips one at a time and get back to us.

Oct 7, 2020
I have figured out that the connections weren’t right on the motherboard but the graphics card is not working now. It was working yesterday when I had the previous setup but when I plug it in I get the red light for the graphics card. The ram sticks both work in the pc. The pc will boot into windows when the graphics card is unplugged

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You did power the gpu with the appropriate pcie power cables? I don't really know that psu and can't find it in the psu tierlist so have some reservations against it.

Did you reinstall windows with the new hardware? Not always necessary (for myself sometimes am okay with the old windows), but sometimes might it be better anyway.