[SOLVED] New CPU just installed, but pc wont boot to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2021
I just installed a ryzen 5 5600x, my old cpu was a ryzen 3. I updated my mobo bios and now my pc with the new cpu installed will only boot to the bios menu, and won't boot to windows, but when I reinstall the old cpu it will boot to windows. Plz help!

Nov 21, 2021
Maybe you need to update the Firmware ("BIOS") of your Motherboard in order to make it work with newer CPU models.

Often it is possible to update the BIOS from USB-Stick (may need a specific USB-Port) by pressing a dedicated hardware switch, even when the system isn't booting up at all.

Look at the manual of your board...

Nov 21, 2021
Maybe you need to update the Firmware ("BIOS") of your Motherboard in order to make it work with newer CPU models.

Often it is possible to update the BIOS from USB-Stick (may need a specific USB-Port) by pressing a dedicated hardware switch, even when the system isn't booting up at all.

Look at the manual of your board...
I went to the msi website and installed the bios version they stated was compatible with my board, and my pc will boot, but windows will not launch, I just get sent straight to the bios menu

I went to the msi website and installed the bios version they stated was compatible with my board, and my pc will boot, but windows will not launch, I just get sent straight to the bios menu
Did you reset CMOS? that's often a problem with hardware changes like CPU. Updating BIOS doesn't usually do a full CMOS reset.

If it still refuses to launch Windows it could be because you had Bitlocker enabled. If you have Windows Pro I'd put the old CPU back in and check for that.

But with the old CPU in also disable it's fTPM and take it out of secure boot if you had that turned on, then try the new CPU. Resetting CMOS should do the same thing.

Reactions: dk5867
Nov 21, 2021

It's important to get latest BISO version that is compatible with your board and supports the specific CPU.

Anyhow, you sure you have already set the proper boot device in BIOS setup?

Nov 21, 2021
What I ended up doing that worked, was i reinstalled the bios version that the msi website said was compatible, cleared my cmos just to be sure, then I'm the bios menu I switched from uefi to csm in the boot options and now it is all working and windows booted up. Thank you for all your help

Jul 25, 2022
What I ended up doing that worked, was i reinstalled the bios version that the msi website said was compatible, cleared my cmos just to be sure, then I'm the bios menu I switched from uefi to csm in the boot options and now it is all working and windows booted up. Thank you for all your help
You, sir, are a legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.