New cpu/mobo ... old Ubuntu 10.04LTS on HDD

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

I pulled-the-trigger on new 1240.v2/MSI_z77A-gd55/sata-DVD/8x2gig Crucial hardware. Assembly and dry-boot completed outside legacy tower case so putzy 650w power supply can push new components and legacy gtx_9400. Ubuntu 10.04LTS is installed on the 200G legacy HDD that used to run the removed M2N/AMD_5400 system.

Does Linux care what CPU and Mobo provides "home"? After re-assembly can I expect **issues** when I boot? **FYI** This new hardware will provide my test system for "re-imaging(?)" a Linux operating system. Yes I have respected AMDgurls warning to leave my perfectly happy U-10.04LTS/AMD_965 system alone!

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hummm...

Any chance of ol' 10.04 damaging the new component hardware: CPU, mobo, DVD or RAM? That would stop-the-game right.now.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks: I respect & appreciate your clear guidance. But damme ... I am curious, so I think I'll just wire up the sucker ... case open to let smoke escape ... and push the ON button. If the case ON-button works. Since my tower case is 2002 vintage its front panel wiring does not exactly match that of the MSI_gd55 wiring harness. But, I swapped a couple pins and got most "lanes" used ... still have dangling un-used front panel leads that say +/- 5 volts , but who knows? Still need to install the sata-DVD and fans ... yes I'm optimistic.

BTW: I would only swap to 12.04.1LTS for the short term. Blast off after lunch tomorrow.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[ijack] Apologies for babble.

Situation is as follows: My production box is a robust and well_behaved U_10.04LTS/AMD_965 system. I depend for it for everything. The moderator of this group (AMD_gurl) suggested I **not** try upgrading such a useful & well-manned system. After some complaining I agree.

What to do? Answer. Leave #1 system alone! Upgrade my back-up seven (7) year old system with a new CPU, mobo, RAM and sata_DVD. I chose a moderate_cost, but high_value INTEL solution with Xenon CPU (1240.v2) and MSI_Z77A-gd55 mobo and a huge 16 gigs of crucial ram. Circuit simulations for my lectures justify such mixed-mode hardware & RAM extravagance.

Two items I do not touch because of expense: an 11 yo 19" LCD monitor and a GTX_9400 graphics card.

That said, a more complete agenda includes my experimenting with OS options other than Ubuntu. The Ubuntu/GNOME environs have got lots less friendly IMVHO over the last two years while my needs have expanded. I need a system affording low-risk experimentation and I picked prudent hardware for the task .

More clear?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
WEll ... I got it mostly together and did boot. First to BIOS where **all** hardware appears to be recognized. I set boot-order CD/USB_key/HDD and set the sysfan temp at 55-C. Then save & EXIT; Ubuntu 10.04 came up properly and most system functions appear to work. Two items fail:

1) no CPU fan operation with a BIOS CPU_temp =72-C: rechecked fan connection and it seems fine.

2) no INTERNET connection with mobo ethernet port

Troubleshooting advice appreciated.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have done a couple tests that show Ubuntu is not **CLAIMING** the Ethernet port ... no drivers is a fair guess . So I have two choices:

1) DLoad a more modern Ubuntu, burn a DVD and install that OS in the new hardware hoping to pick-up MSI_gd55_eth hardware support. Since I update my systems promptly I am **shocked I say shocked** that the MSI_Z77A-gd55 is still not completely supported by Ubuntu. It's year old hardware!!

2) buy a NIC_card that fits in the new MSI mobo PCIe slots ( my old long PCI NIC_card does not!) and is supported by Ubuntu already.

3) ???

Good news is that after re-seating the CPU fan-cable pins the heatsink fan now spins happily away. I can't talk to anyone on the new system, but it will not vanish in a cloud of flames. I truly appreciate the advise and suggestions.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
BigSK:

Your call was spot-on. Using your reference I DLoaded , burned .... and then installed U_12.04.1 in the new INTEL/MSI hardware. Automagically the mobo-eth internet connection **just worked**. Upgrades appeared and those + a few std_tools (RKHUNTER/CLAMAV etc...) have been brought over from the UBUNTU repos. Funny, OPERA does not seem to be on-da-list!

I can be optimistic as I add-back pieces of the older system (webcam/laserjet ...). The new Unity "face" of Ubuntu appears quite strange to me... strange, but not hostile. I figured to switch immediately to MATE, but Idunno now; I'll keep Unity around and see how my workflow and "discovery" progress. It's a long strange trip from my first sys ... an APPLE-2+ !

Thanks for your consideration, and straight-forward evaluation of my new-build ethernet problem ... brick walls are no fun. And many thanks also to our patient and persistent moderator Ms. AMD_gurl.