New CPU/No Display

Oct 19, 2018
Relevant Specs:
MSI 980ti Graphics Card
Intel i7 7700k CPU
MSI Z170A M5 Motherboard

Just installed a new CPU with a liquid cooler, after installing my computer boots up but no display is shown. I checked to see if it would boot without my graphics card like other forums show but it still is a black screen. Also took out my RAM and received the long beeps that prove my motherboard is still working. Not sure the problem and any advice helps!

Oct 19, 2018
So I traded CPU's and unfortunately the person I traded with won't be available for a while. Is there anything else that could be done? Or am I screwed until I get the original CPU in?

I apologize for this inconvenience. This is something I have not seen before.

For some odd reason that motherboard requires a later bios update for the i3 and below Skylake CPUs. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#support-cpu

I would contact MSI and ask them about your situation, because it looks like you need at least an i5-6400 if you in fact have the earliest bios 7977v12 in order to be compatible so you can update it further.

Confirm you have a cooler mounted, and a CPU fan attached to appropriate cpu fan header?

Look for a "CLEAR CMOS" jumper (with all power removed from PSU!) to install for 1-2 seconds..then remove, and retest (Often slear CMOS is now just a momentary pushbutton switch...