Nov 19, 2019
Dell optiplex 790 mini tower
gpu = nvidia 1050ti
psu = 550w corsair
ram = 8 gb
hd= 1tb
cpu=i7 2600
OS=windows 10 64 bit

ok I just swapped out my i3 2120 3.3 ghz for an i7 2600 3.4ghz cpu..... everything seems to run the same... almost too much the same as my i3. I just installed it havent tried to run any of the new video games with it. However when I look under my device manager and system specs it still says I have a i3 2120 as a cpu. I know the processor says i7 on it. How is it possible that it still says I have an i3 when i just installed an i7. I did buy it from ebay maybe they printed i7 on it when its really an i3? please help I spent 70$ on it.

Solution
Go to device manager and delete the CPU .
Click on the cumputer at the top of device manager.
Click Action.
Click check for hardware changes.
This will make windows update device manager.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I think i got jipped... they were supposed to send me an i3.. even when i open task manager and look under performance it says i have an i3 2120 base speed 3.3 ghz.. it has i7 2600 stamped on it....idk im so confused

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Ok so I dont have a screenshots folder? No clue I hit print screen but cant find a screenshots folder anywhere....I know how to use imgur but cant show you cpu-z im telling you it says i have i7 2600 though (cpu-z does anyway). Device manager says I have an i3.

On a dell motherboard there is no overclocking anything. Even K series CPUs.
They run at their Fastest rated speeds.
You can increase performance by changing your power plan to high performance.
You could overclock your video card , you could get a few more FPS out of it.

Your upgrade will not affect all games the same.
on single or dual thread games the extra cores do not affect the game much. It still uses 1 or 2 cores.
It will run smoother with minimum FPS increasing slightly.
On games that use more cores and threads you will see a huge improvement.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
makes sense... ok just giving an update. I can definitely tell a performance upgrade now and Im loving it. I have world of warcraft on max settings and it looks amazing 60fps (not bad imo). streaming the same time i switched to twitch studios I was using obt. I can run twitch studios np now and it stream in much higher quality. Everything seems to be running very nicely now. Im downloading call of duty warzone ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I uninstalled my old cpu from my device manager.. restarted my comp and everything is fine it shows my i7. I ran NBA 2k20 and it runs without any lag now thank god. It used to lag with my i3. I tried Call of duty warzone its a little laggy so i ordered more ram ill have 12k ram once it gets here. Should help. My ps2 emulator seems to be working good now as well. Im actually really happy with my new processor its obv not the best but its seems like it will work for all the new game titles once I get more ram. I could prob sell my comp if I really wanted to and upgrade to another one.... hmmmmm maybe ill even do that. Anyways I upgraded all the parts myself the cpu/gpu/psu/windows/hard drive/ soon to be ram lol. Just took me a few years. Thanks again.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Im emulating grand theft auto III on my ps2 emulator and it runs great thanks to my new i7. Also I can run twitch studios without any lag and that solved all my stream problems. My stream runs great now too thanks to my i7. Maybe ill try shadowplay later but for now twitch studios runs great. Thanks for everything.