New CPU not working

SemkeHG

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
So i've been having this problem, after a year of having a pretty bad pc i decided to do a big upgrade for my CPU and GPU, of course before buying i checked that everything was compatible and it was, so i bought it, i bought a EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB and also an i7 4790k. I installed the gpu and cpu fine no problems but then it came to turning on the system, nothing, no post beep, no signal to monitor etc etc. I tried doing all the fixes that are listed somewhere here on the site for such problem such as resetting CMOS, updating bios etc yet still nothing. So i decided to put in my old CPU and to my surprise the computer booted completely fine, new gpu running fine, so i saw the i7 as being the problem. I contacted the company i bought the CPU from and sent it in for testing to them, after a few days they confirmed it was a bad chip (No exact confirmation but they offered a replacement) and today the replacement came in and im back right where i was before, no post beep and no signal. Here are my full specs :

Intel i3 4130 - CPU
Asus H81-M Plus - MOTHERBOARD
8GB DDR3 1600MHz - RAM
1TB SATA III - HDD
GTX 650 2GB - GPU EVGA GTX 970 SC
500w FSP 80+ - PSU
Samsung 24X Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW - OPTICAL DRIVE
CIT Vantage Blue LED - CASE

I would really appreciate some help
:(

EDIT: I have the latest intel software and also the latest bios version

Solution
I had this problem, I can assure you it's the BIOS. What I mean by this is you would need to update your BIOS, do you still have the old CPU you used that worked with the system? If not see if you can borrow a friends or something.

Then find out the make of your motherboard and model, go onto the manufacturers website and go onto downloads/drivers/updates or something similar. Once you found the right one there will be a list of headers, find the ones that says BIOS and download the most up to date. Then search into youtube "how to update my BIOS", there will be ton of videos (This is what helped me and I found it very easy to follow).

But as I can see you have found out the motherboards manufacturer and model so here is were you...

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
I had this problem, I can assure you it's the BIOS. What I mean by this is you would need to update your BIOS, do you still have the old CPU you used that worked with the system? If not see if you can borrow a friends or something.

Then find out the make of your motherboard and model, go onto the manufacturers website and go onto downloads/drivers/updates or something similar. Once you found the right one there will be a list of headers, find the ones that says BIOS and download the most up to date. Then search into youtube "how to update my BIOS", there will be ton of videos (This is what helped me and I found it very easy to follow).

But as I can see you have found out the motherboards manufacturer and model so here is were you would download it from: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81MPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

If this does not work just message back on here or PM me, but I am sure this is the problem.

Thanks.

Solution