[SOLVED] New CPU or GPU

Hayden012

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
Hi,
I am torn on whether a new GPU or CPU will give me better performance for gaming. My current specs are as follows:

I3-6100
GTX 1050 2gb
16 gb of ram

And I'm looking to upgrade to:

GTX 1070 8gb
I5-8700k or I5-9600k

Thank you in advanced,
Hayden S.

Solution
Either one of those upgrade choices will leave you with a severe bottleneck. That said, if you're itching to buy now and can only afford one, I'd get the GPU first. Hopefully you'll have enough for the CPU by the time AMD's 3000 series Ryzens release, which should drive down the 8700k price. If you plan to do lots of streaming though, one of the better Ryzen 3000s would actually be a better choice. Ryzens take at least 3200 RAM speed to run well though.
Either one of those upgrade choices will leave you with a severe bottleneck. That said, if you're itching to buy now and can only afford one, I'd get the GPU first. Hopefully you'll have enough for the CPU by the time AMD's 3000 series Ryzens release, which should drive down the 8700k price. If you plan to do lots of streaming though, one of the better Ryzen 3000s would actually be a better choice. Ryzens take at least 3200 RAM speed to run well though.

Solution