LukaNyan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
So my monitor is a 3440x1440p (but I often play at 2560x1080p due to the low performance of my current GPU / CPU).
Since at the moment I can't afford to change all the pc, which one should I focus on it first?
New CPU (and Mother board+RAM): Ryzen 5 3600 = about 400 EUR / 440 USD
For the GPU: Amd RX 5700 XT (or the non XT ver) = about 450 UER / 495 USD
My monitor is NOT replaceable.

My current specs:
Intel I5-4570
Asrock H87 pro 4S
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC 4GB
8GB ram
SSD 250GB + HDD 1TB
Thermaltake berlin 630w 80 Plus

Big thanks ~
PS. I live in Europe

My goal is to play stuff like RDR2 or monster hunter world at 60 or 75 fps with the 3440x1440p resolution (playing at medium-high settings)

Last edited:
Solution
You are asking about the most effective upgrade, either cpu or gpu.
Here is my canned approach to that question:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management...

LukaNyan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
PSu is not nearly enough for a new GPU.
Also, your CPU will definitely hold back a 5700xt, but less at 1440p.

I would suggest upgrading CPU, mobo, ram, and PSU first.
Can you explain to me how my PSU is not enough?
Does it get worn out by the time? It has 5-year old by now
  • Radeon RX 5700 - On your average system we recommend a 500 Watt power supply unit.
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT - On your average system we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-5700-and-5700-xt-review,7.html

Okay so you think I should upgrade my CPU first, thanks for that!

Wattage is fine.

Its just Thermaltake makes a lot of very very poorly designed cheap power supplies. The Berlin 630w is one of these very cheaply designed units. It is part of the TR2 series I hear.

A cheap PSU can put your hardware at risk. You might put in a new component only for your PSU to crumble under the load, killing your expensive new hardware.

bignastyid

Titan
Honestly I'd say you've been lucky that PSU has had a problem yet as it's lacking in the quality department and not a risk you should continue taking. Size doesn't matter much if the the PSU is low quality.

Since you are using a higher resolution the GPU upgrade would show a bigger performance increase, but you will end up needing a platform upgrade aswell to see the full benefit.

Reactions: LukaNyan

LukaNyan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Wattage is fine.

Its just Thermaltake makes a lot of very very poorly designed cheap power supplies. The Berlin 630w is one of these very cheaply designed units. It is part of the TR2 series I hear.

A cheap PSU can put your hardware at risk. You might put in a new component only for your PSU to crumble under the load, killing your expensive new hardware.
I could be wrong but some time ago I've heard that the new 80 Plus Bronze Berlin 630 was rubbish compared to the previous version I own (80 Plus) since everyone back in 2014 was recommending it.
Well anyway, I guess I should replace the PSU regardless just to be safe :whistle:

Oct 3, 2019
I may be wrong, but I would think that cheap PSU's kill as many systems as heat related issues?

Crazy, cause a good PSU is not much $ in the whole big picture, and they last forever if you keep them clean, both electrically and dirtwise.
At least this has been my experience.

LukaNyan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
I may be wrong, but I would think that cheap PSU's kill as many systems as heat related issues?

Crazy, cause a good PSU is not much $ in the whole big picture, and they last forever if you keep them clean, both electrically and dirtwise.
At least this has been my experience.
Well that PSU is what everyone recommended back in the 2013/14, and I didn't have any kind of problem so far with it.
Be in mind that it's the 80 Plus version, not the 80 plus bronze

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

You may want to buy the two games in question and see how you do.
Neither, I think is particularly resource demanding.
Your current 8gb of ram might be an issue.

Past that, the comments on your psu are valid, and somewhere a replacement is in order.
Since you apparently have had no problems, that change does not seem urgent.
But if you are so inclined look for a seasonic focus 650w psu. This time of year, they seem to go on sale.

Solution

LukaNyan

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015

Your current 8gb of ram might be an issue.

Past that, the comments on your psu are valid, and somewhere a replacement is in order.
Since you apparently have had no problems, that change does not seem urgent.
But if you are so inclined look for a seasonic focus 650w psu. This time of year, they seem to go on sale.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for advising me and for your time.
Well, I didn't know that my PSU was so terrible... I'll definitely change it (I've put that Seasonic PSU on my amazon wish list).
And yeah, the 8GB ram is another issue.

I guess will just upgrade to Ryzen 5 first, and sell the old CPU and ram for few bucks.
And hopefully finding some good deals for the RX 5700 in future :mdr:

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
And hopefully finding some good deals for the RX 5700 in future :mdr:
AMD products tend to only get cheaper as time goes until they are discontinued.

For example, you can buy a Ryzen 7 2700x for $195 right now, and it was $329 when it was released just over a year ago.

The longer you wait the cheaper it will be, but also the card will not be as high end by then.