Question New CPU, RAM, and MOBO.... power switch doesn't work...

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hey,

I was helping a friend with these new parts:
Ryzen 7 2700
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Motherboard

I told my friend to buy this specific motherboard as I have an x370, so I know the layout. We plugged in the ATX, CPU, and GPU power cables. We plugged in all the other optional cords. We also put the 1x1 cords for the power switch, reset switch, HDD LED +-, and Power LED +-. Now it won't turn on, even when following the places from the manual.

What is faulty here?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Did you try the paper clip test to see if your power supply is working?
and if it is working, you should try it on another system and see if it will power it or not, so you can narrow down the problem.
If the power supply is working fine, then its either cpu, gpu or motherboard.
Try with one stick of ram and so on.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Did you try the paper clip test to see if your power supply is working?
and if it is working, you should try it on another system and see if it will power it or not, so you can narrow down the problem.
If the power supply is working fine, then its either cpu, gpu or motherboard.
Try with one stick of ram and so on.
We did try the paperclip, though I think it's covered in rubber or some plastic. Will it still work with that? We don't have any other paperclips. The PSU used to work on older hardware with the same GPU listed, but after taking everything apart, both new and old parts don't work.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, rubber is not a good electricity conductor if am correct.
Plus if the old and new hardware didn't work with the same power supply, it can be the power supply.
How many year's has it been used?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Well, rubber is not a good electricity conductor if am correct.
Plus if the old and new hardware didn't work with the same power supply, it can be the power supply.
How many year's has it been used?
I'd say 2 years. It USED to work with the old hardware, but as soon as we took everything out, nothing works on either old or new hardware.

EDIT: The computer isn't used that much.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Nah, cases shouldn't be a problem.
Unless if there was a missing standoff or something and the motherboard made contact with a metal inside the case then it might've shorted the motherboard or something/
Else i don't really know what other reasons.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Nah, cases shouldn't be a problem.
Unless if there was a missing standoff or something and the motherboard made contact with a metal inside the case then it might've shorted the motherboard or something/
Else i don't really know what other reasons.
Dang. Well, we are going to order a new case and PSU just in case either don't work. Might ask him to ship it over to see if I can work something out. Thanks man.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Edit: didn't read your whole post :p.

Have you tried to short out the power switch jumper with a screwdriver or other metal object to see if it's the switch that's the problem rather than the board or the PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with trying the screwdriver first to see if it is the front panel.

Would also recommend going through this guide as far as possible: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Just be wary with the paperclip test, a failing PSU can still pass a paperclip test very easily, the test only verifies if the PSU is receiving and can emit power, but doesn't verify in any way what level or stability of power it outputs, which is a huge factor in the powering of your components.