Question New CPU, RAM, and MOBO.... power switch doesn't work...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hey,

I was helping a friend with these new parts:
Ryzen 7 2700
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Motherboard

I told my friend to buy this specific motherboard as I have an x370, so I know the layout. We plugged in the ATX, CPU, and GPU power cables. We plugged in all the other optional cords. We also put the 1x1 cords for the power switch, reset switch, HDD LED +-, and Power LED +-. Now it won't turn on, even when following the places from the manual.

What is faulty here?

popatim

Titan
Oxi, have you tried connecting up the motherbd (w/cpu, cooler, ram, gpu, & psu) outside of the case?
The motherbd may be shorting to something in the case and the excellent PSU is doing it's job of not powering up because of it.
I don't think so but worth a testing.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Oxi, have you tried connecting up the motherbd (w/cpu, cooler, ram, gpu, & psu) outside of the case?
The motherbd may be shorting to something in the case and the excellent PSU is doing it's job of not powering up because of it.
I don't think so but worth a testing.
We actually did everything outside of case, yes.

He means plug the reset switch connector into the power switch pins of the FP header.
It's a valid test. I've done it many times sometimes even physically swapping them on a system where they never use the reset . LoL
We did this with an old case, but he got a new case recently and I'm trying to convince him to do it since he's about to fly out tonight, but doesn't want to do it. I'll let him know.

The PWR switch and Reset switch are both wired exactly the same, so you can plug the reset switch onto the PWR switch pins on the motherboard and this will mean you use the reset switch to turn on/off the PC.

It will allow you to see if one of the switches is faulty.
Does it matter with direction these are facing or can it just be plugged in? Obviously where they need to go, but can it be flipped or does it matter? I don't know how to word it, but I hope you get it. Rotated, I guess.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Does it matter with direction these are facing or can it just be plugged in? Obviously where they need to go, but can it be flipped or does it matter? I don't know how to word it, but I hope you get it. Rotated, I guess.
Assuming you mean whether its positive or negative, for the PWR and Reset, it does not matter what rotation you put them, it does not matter what way round the positive and negative are.

It DOES matter for the others, but not the power or reset switches.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Assuming you mean whether its positive or negative, for the PWR and Reset, it does not matter what rotation you put them, it does not matter what way round the positive and negative are.

It DOES matter for the others, but not the power or reset switches.
Thanks

We tried the screwdriver thing, still didn't power... think it died. So fast.

Latest posts