[SOLVED] New CPU Ram MB £600 Budget

sammb7560

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi, I'm looking at getting a new CPU, MB and RAM. I haven't upgraded my CPU, RAM or MB since I got my PC in 2013 and my PC has really slowed down and has a bad bottle neck. My budget is around £600 for the 3 components and I would like to overclock the CPU and I need 16gb of RAM. I was looking at the 8700k but open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

My current specs are-
Processor - i5 4590K Quad Core (3.3Ghz)
Graphics Card - Zotac GTX 1080 8GB AMP! EXTREME
RAM - 16GB Kingston RAM
Hard Drive - 1TB Seagate Baracuda
External Hard Drive - Samsung M3 1TB Portable
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth Mark 2
PSU - Corsair 1000W Gold Modular Power Supply

Solution
At current prices and due to the fact that you'll need aftermarket cooler as well, 8th gen Core i7 build doesn't happen, unless you're willing to go over your 600 quid budget, like so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£353.99 @ Newegg UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£64.64 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£149.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £658.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At current prices and due to the fact that you'll need aftermarket cooler as well, 8th gen Core i7 build doesn't happen, unless you're willing to go over your 600 quid budget, like so:

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£64.64 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£149.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 18:49 GMT+0000

To keep within budget, you're looking towards 9th gen Core i5,

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £556.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 18:50 GMT+0000

Note 01: Dark Rock Pro 3 is 165mm tall and make sure your PC case has enough CPU cooler clearance. If not, tell me the case make and model so i can switch the CPU cooler to the one that fits.
Note 02: Corsair RAM is normal-profile and it fits just fine under the Dark Rock Pro 3. Just install the RAM before installing CPU cooler. It's easier this way.

Few words
For gaming i5-9600K is better than Core i7 since it doesn't cost that much and doesn't come with hyperthreading. Core i7 makes sense when you use your PC for production work (e.g video rendering) but for workstation PC, you'd need at least 32GB of RAM while 64GB of RAM is preferred.

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There are no price for the RAM in pcpp listing.
Single slot rad AIO for that hot running chip? Are you serious? 😲

Single slot rad AIOs are only useful in mini-ITX builds where PC case doesn't have enough clearance for proper air cooler. Any other PC build, where there's at least 150mm of CPU clearance can have medium-sized CPU cooler which will outperform that single slot AIO cooling wise.
For i7-8700K, bare minimum AIO i'd look towards would be with 240mm rad, while 280mm rad would be preferred.

sammb7560

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 18:49 GMT+0000

To keep within budget, you're looking towards 9th gen Core i5,

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £556.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 18:50 GMT+0000

Note 01: Dark Rock Pro 3 is 165mm tall and make sure your PC case has enough CPU cooler clearance. If not, tell me the case make and model so i can switch the CPU cooler to the one that fits.
Note 02: Corsair RAM is normal-profile and it fits just fine under the Dark Rock Pro 3. Just install the RAM before installing CPU cooler. It's easier this way.

Few words
For gaming i5-9600K is better than Core i7 since it doesn't cost that much and doesn't come with hyperthreading. Core i7 makes sense when you use your PC for production work (e.g video rendering) but for workstation PC, you'd need at least 32GB of RAM while 64GB of RAM is preferred.
What sort of gaming performance difference are we looking at between these two cpus with maxed out settings? Also, I have no clue on motherboards and GPU's are my only specialty so would i be able to overclock the cpu with this mb? Thanks for your reply, you were very helpful!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£51.65 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£112.13 @ Technextday)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £607.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-01 18:41 GMT+0000

A 9700K would also be a good option, but it costs a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammb7560

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What sort of gaming performance difference are we looking at between these two cpus with maxed out settings? Also, I have no clue on motherboards and GPU's are my only specialty so would i be able to overclock the cpu with this mb? Thanks for your reply, you were very helpful!
To see the difference, let's compare both builds. i7-8700K as a base, i5-9600K as an alternative:
Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison

Baseline Bench: Game 112%, Desk 106%, Work 100%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB

Alternative Bench: Game 112%, Desk 104%, Work 82%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K

As you can see, in quad-core tasks (gaming), there's 0 difference between the two CPUs. There's negligible (2%) difference in single-core tasks (web browsing, office work) while the biggest difference is in multi-core tasks (video rendering) since i5-9600K doesn't have hyperthreading.

And yes, you can OC the CPU with Z390 chipset MoBo.
On Intel side, and for consumers, there are B-, H-, and Z-series MoBos. B-series is oriented for small businesses, H-series is oriented for casual users while Z-series is oriented towards PC enthusiasts. Due to that, only Z-series MoBos offer K-series CPU OC and support RAM XMP faster than 2666 Mhz.

sammb7560

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
To see the difference, let's compare both builds. i7-8700K as a base, i5-9600K as an alternative:
Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison

Baseline Bench: Game 112%, Desk 106%, Work 100%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

Alternative Bench: Game 112%, Desk 104%, Work 82%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K

As you can see, in quad-core tasks (gaming), there's 0 difference between the two CPUs. There's negligible (2%) difference in single-core tasks (web browsing, office work) while the biggest difference is in multi-core tasks (video rendering) since i5-9600K doesn't have hyperthreading.

And yes, you can OC the CPU with Z390 chipset MoBo.
On Intel side, and for consumers, there are B-, H-, and Z-series MoBos. B-series is oriented for small businesses, H-series is oriented for casual users while Z-series is oriented towards PC enthusiasts. Due to that, only Z-series MoBos offer K-series CPU OC and support RAM XMP faster than 2666 Mhz.
Thank you for the reply, very helpful again. I think I'm going to get the 9600k, what speed do you think I would be able to get on 9600k OC'd? I would like to reach between 4.7-5ghz on OC so what would be the best cooler for this?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You can get 5 Ghz out of the i5-9600K but the max level of CPU OC depends on CPU silicon lottery, CPU cooling and how many VRMs (voltage regulator modules) are on the MoBo (usually, the more VRMs, the better).

The Dark Rock Pro 3 i suggested above is 2nd best CPU air cooler when it comes to the cooling performance. Only Noctua NH-D15 is better than Dark Rock Pro 3 (but it has far worse looks due to the brown/beige color of the fans).

Tom's Hardware used Corsair H115i AIO (specs) on their review of i5-9600K, where they got the stable 5 Ghz OC with 1.36V on Vcore and Auto Load Line Calibration settings. While it's claimed that i5-9600K can do up to 5.2 Ghz, you'd need to surpass the safe Vcore voltage of 1.35V and get extremely lucky with silicon lottery.

I, personally, would go with air cooler over AIO since you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with AIO over air cooler because both are cooled by ambient air. (For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm.)
Here are the positive sides of both CPU cooling methods:

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs, including king of AIOs (NZXT x61 Kraken),
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

Since NH-D15 aesthetics isn't best due to the beige/brown coloring of their fans, i usually suggest going with Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 which has far better aesthetics while cooling performance difference is 1-2 degrees Celsius from NH-D15,
review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler,4350.html
pcpp: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/9bFPxr,4vzv6h/

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.

sammb7560

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
You can get 5 Ghz out of the i5-9600K but the max level of CPU OC depends on CPU silicon lottery, CPU cooling and how many VRMs (voltage regulator modules) are on the MoBo (usually, the more VRMs, the better).

The Dark Rock Pro 3 i suggested above is 2nd best CPU air cooler when it comes to the cooling performance. Only Noctua NH-D15 is better than Dark Rock Pro 3 (but it has far worse looks due to the brown/beige color of the fans).

Tom's Hardware used Corsair H115i AIO (specs) on their review of i5-9600K, where they got the stable 5 Ghz OC with 1.36V on Vcore and Auto Load Line Calibration settings. While it's claimed that i5-9600K can do up to 5.2 Ghz, you'd need to surpass the safe Vcore voltage of 1.35V and get extremely lucky with silicon lottery.

I, personally, would go with air cooler over AIO since you won't gain any cooling performance if you go with AIO over air cooler because both are cooled by ambient air. (For equal cooling performance between AIOs and air coolers, rad needs to be 240mm or 280mm.)
Here are the positive sides of both CPU cooling methods:

Pros of air coolers:
less cost
less maintenance
less noise
far longer longevity
no leakage risks
doesn't take up case fan slots
additional cooling for the RAM
CPU cools down faster after heavy heat output

Pros of AIOs:
no RAM clearance issues*
no CPU clearance issues
CPU takes longer time to heat up during heavy heat output (about 30 mins)
* on some cases, top mounted rad can give RAM clearance issues

While how the CPU cooler looks inside the PC depends on a person. Some people prefer to see small AIO pump in the middle of their MoBo with tubing going to the rad while others prefer to see big heatsink with fans in the middle of their MoBo.

Main difference between AIO and air cooler is that with AIO, you'll get more noise at a higher cost while cooling performance remains the same.
Here's also one good article for you to read where king of air coolers (Noctua NH-D15) was put against 5x high-end AIOs, including king of AIOs (NZXT x61 Kraken),
link: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

Since NH-D15 aesthetics isn't best due to the beige/brown coloring of their fans, i usually suggest going with Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 which has far better aesthetics while cooling performance difference is 1-2 degrees Celsius from NH-D15,
review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler,4350.html
pcpp: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/9bFPxr,4vzv6h/

Personally, i'd go with air coolers every day of the week. With same cooling performance, the pros of air coolers outweigh the pros of AIOs considerably. While, for me, the 3 main pros would be:
1. Less noise.
Since i like my PC to be quiet, i can't stand the loud noise AIO makes. Also, when air gets trapped inside the AIO (some AIOs are more prone to this than others), there's additional noise coming from inside the pump.
2. Longevity.
Cheaper AIOs usually last 2-3 years and high-end ones 4-5 years before you need to replace it. While with air coolers, their life expectancy is basically unlimited. Only thing that can go bad on an air cooler is the fan on it. If the fan dies, your CPU still has cooling in form of a big heatsink. Also, new 120mm or 140mm fan doesn't cost much and it's easy to replace one. While with AIOs, the main thing that usually goes bad is the pump itself. And when that happens, your CPU has no cooling whatsoever. Since you can't replace pump on an AIO, you need to buy whole new AIO to replace the old one out.
3. No leakage risks.
Since there's liquid circling inside the AIO, there is always a risk that your AIO can leak. While it's rare, it has happened. It's well known fact that liquids and electronics don't mix.
Absolutely amazing help. Thank u so much for the time you spent on this :)) I've had a look online and the dark rock pro 3 wont fit inside my case. The Maximum CPU Cooler Height is 156mm, so what would you suggest? I can get a new case (https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Cases/SPEC-OMEGA-CONFIG/p/CC-9011119-WW) as I dont like the colours on mine anyway (the red) but I would prefer an equal performance cooler which would fit my current case.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At 156mm, and when it comes to the air coolers, you can't get equal cooling performance to Dark Rock Pro 3 since the heatsink will be shorter with smaller fans and thus, less cooling capacity.

Closest you can get within 156mm range would be Scythe Fuma,
specs: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/fuma.html
pcpp: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dVwqqs/scythe-cpu-cooler-scfm1000

Since it's also twin tower and only 149mm tall. Though, it comes with short lifespan sleeve bearing fans (40.000 hours) and i'd replace the fans asap. For comparison, Dark Rock Pro 3 comes with long lasting fluid-dynamic bearing fans (150.000+ hours) and NH-D15 comes with SSO2 bearing fans (another variation of mag-lev bearing) with extremely long lifespan (300.000+ hours).

Though, NZXT X62 Kraken (specs) would give equal cooling performance to Dark Rock Pro 3, while being within your 156mm CPU cooler clearance. But since it's an AIO, i don't look favorably towards it (reasons in my last reply).

sammb7560

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
At 156mm, and when it comes to the air coolers, you can't get equal cooling performance to Dark Rock Pro 3 since the heatsink will be shorter with smaller fans and thus, less cooling capacity.

Closest you can get within 156mm range would be Scythe Fuma,
specs: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/fuma.html
pcpp: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dVwqqs/scythe-cpu-cooler-scfm1000

Since it's also twin tower and only 149mm tall. Though, it comes with short lifespan sleeve bearing fans (40.000 hours) and i'd replace the fans asap. For comparison, Dark Rock Pro 3 comes with long lasting fluid-dynamic bearing fans (150.000+ hours) and NH-D15 comes with SSO2 bearing fans (another variation of mag-lev bearing) with extremely long lifespan (300.000+ hours).

Though, NZXT X62 Kraken (specs) would give equal cooling performance to Dark Rock Pro 3, while being within your 156mm CPU cooler clearance. But since it's an AIO, i don't look favorably towards it (reasons in my last reply).
Cheers, I’m going to upgrade my case from the corsair spec alpha to the spec omega so that i can fit the dark rock pro 3 and also get a nice tempered window. thanks for all your help