New CPU to Replace FX4100

jayjay291077

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Hi all, need some advice, my kind fiancee has argeed to me spending some money on a new processor to replace my old one (FX4100) have been running it overclocked to come in just under 4g on a stock cooler (yes i know im mad should of replaced the cooler but i was on budget) but very unhappy the temp's im getting amd overdrive saying thermal margin around 5 degrees under full load whislt converting some films to mp4. and ideaing according to speed fan around 40 degrees.

so looking at amazon i been eyeing up a FX8350 as i don't want to replace my motherboard as well. good price currently around £140 going to get an aftermarket cooler as well.

my question is, it is worth forking out £140 for the new cpu or should i just replace the heat sink and get a new cooler and overclock the current one.

being looking around at various sites for comparison and thought i would ask the experts , im sure 8 cores are better than four, piledriver is better then bulldozer.

manily be used for gaming, skyrim, xcom, far cry, rome total war 2 (now it works) some transcoding and generally every day use,

my specs currently are

asus mb
fx4100
8 g ram
sapphire r9 270x 2gb
win 7 64 bit

any pointers would be greatly appricated