[SOLVED] New CPU underperforming than old one

Jan 6, 2022
Hi guys,

i upgrade my PC this week and seems like i have lower performance than with my old i7 4790k in Battlefield 2042.
Average FPS was 80 in gun fights.

Right now after upgrade im stucked at 60 FPS sometime 50.

Im running win10 and have fresh instalation and i check also temperatures during playing and cpu doesnt go over 58.

My build right now:

• i5 11600kf
  • 16GB RAM 3200Mhz (1 stick)
  • MOBO MSI MAG B560 Torpedo
  • MSI GTX 1070 Sea hawk
  • PSU LC Power LC6600-v2.2 - 600W
  • SSD Adata 256GB for system

I think that PSU can be probably problem cuz is few years old or its possible that GTX1070 underperform whole build?

Solution
Hi guys,

i upgrade my PC this week and seems like i have lower performance than with my old i7 4790k in Battlefield 2042.

Im running win10 and have fresh instalation and i check also temperatures during playing and cpu doesnt go over 58.

My build right now:

• i5 11600kf
  • MSI GTX 1070 Sea hawk
I think that PSU can be probably problem cuz is few years old or its possible that GTX1070 underperform whole build?
There are a couple oddities with your system that could affect performance. First you are...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since you performed a fresh install of the OS, what version of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing? Also, that PSU that you've got is more akin to an expensive paperweight and is not reliably built. How old is the unit? Even if it was brand new, I'd have suggested that you invested into a reliably built PSU, like one made by Seasonic or Corsair.

As for you SSD, what is the model of said SSD and and does it have any firmware updates pending? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Hi guys,

My build right now:

• i5 11600kf
  • MSI GTX 1070 Sea hawk
There are a couple oddities with your system that could affect performance. First you are running your RAM in single channel mode. While this isn't a huge problem if you aren't running the iGPU, it can still affect overall performance. On your motherboard have you set XMP for the RAM in the BIOS. If not your RAM will be running at a lower speed which will make the CPU more bandwidth starved especially since you are only running 1 channel RAM. For you PSU I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole. It most likely cannot handle the power draw that your new CPU/GPU combination can create. You have an SSD "for system," is that just for the OS or do you have games and such installed on it as well. If it is just the OS then what are you using for storing your game? SSDs, especially lower end ones, need a fair amount of spare area to perform their best.

Solution
Jan 6, 2022
There are a couple oddities with your system that could affect performance. First you are running your RAM in single channel mode. While this isn't a huge problem if you aren't running the iGPU, it can still affect overall performance. On your motherboard have you set XMP for the RAM in the BIOS. If not your RAM will be running at a lower speed which will make the CPU more bandwidth starved especially since you are only running 1 channel RAM. For you PSU I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole. It most likely cannot handle the power draw that your new CPU/GPU combination can create. You have an SSD "for system," is that just for the OS or do you have games and such installed on it as well. If it is just the OS then what are you using for storing your game? SSDs, especially lower end ones, need a fair amount of spare area to perform their best.
XMP is on and games have on other SSD. And on the system ssd i have instaled other applications. Ill go buy second stick, i ordered 2x 8gb but they mess something and give me just one and i didnt think it can so hughe affect CPU.