New CPU vs RAM + 144Hz Monitor

Jul 29, 2018
Currently I have an i5 6400 paired with a MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 1x8GB 2133MHz SK Hynix RAM and a Samsung SSD.

I want to know if i should upgrade my CPU to an 8th gen i5 (including new mobo and case) or upgrade my RAM from 1x8GB 2133MHz to 2x8GB 3000MHz and buy a new 144Hz monitor specifically the AOC - G2460PF.

I do get some fps drops and stuttering in some games but am unsure whether it is time for an 8th gen CPU or that the performance drops are due to Single Channel RAM and the fact i see heavy screen tearing from my old 60Hz monitor.
I play many FPS' so i feel like the 144Hz may improve fluidity.

Should I wait for the next generation of Intel or even Ryzen CPUs before upgrading?
Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.
Thanks

Solution

i5 8400 would only outperform the i7 in heavily threaded titles, which are so gpu-bound, that cpu barely matters there anyway. In games which rely on single and quad core speed, the i7 would win. Also, you would not need to purchase a motherboard with the i7. That said, they are both really good and should serve you well, so pick the one you like better.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
the I5 8600K has 2 more cores that the 7700K while the 7700K has 2 more threads.

That being said, hes rocking a non-K prosessor right now so that is most likely a non overclockable MB.

OP: You will see a better result from getting a newer monitor. It would be silly getting beefy hardware without the monitor to display it.

daerohn

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
when you have single ram for a double bus CPU, basically what your are doing is halving the speed of rams. So yourCPU is still a good one and thus I do not think there is a need to upgrade your CPU. If I were you I would increase the amount of RAM first. And if your CPU is not a "K" one there is no need to purchase high speed rams if there are alot of price difference between them. you can try to decrease the latency of high speed rams while using in lower speeds though I do not think there would be dramatical increase in performance.

Also I would not change the monitor ot a 144Hz one if you are not into FPS's.

BringerOfTea

Reputable

"I play many FPS' so i feel like the 144Hz may improve fluidity."

Jul 29, 2018

I was thinking about getting the i5 8400 but i've seen many benchmarks which show it performs better than an i7 7700 and at a cheaper price (i5 8400 - £160 / i7 7700 £250) - I have a h170 motherboard so i can't oc

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

i5 8400 would only outperform the i7 in heavily threaded titles, which are so gpu-bound, that cpu barely matters there anyway. In games which rely on single and quad core speed, the i7 would win. Also, you would not need to purchase a motherboard with the i7. That said, they are both really good and should serve you well, so pick the one you like better.

Solution