new developments/products on the soundcard front?

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Is it just me, or does it seem like the last major soundcard release was the SB LIVE! ? Is there anything new in the works, any new technologies on the horizon for sound cards? my sblive sounds great on my system, but I am sure there is room for further innovation. It seems to me that soundcards used to evolve rapidly, but have now stagnated for quite a while. Or have I missed something?
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let's see, which came first, the original LIve! or the Votex2? because the Vortex2 offers better sound, uses fewer resources, and causes fewer problems-but the drivers were never updated. Still works good on 98SE and ALi, Intel, or SiS chipsets.
CMI makes a sound chip that offers comparable sound to the Live!
ESS has been making sound chips that sound better than the Live! for a while now.
nVidia will be producing an integrated sound system into their new chipset which puts all of these to shame.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

-----------------------------
CMI makes a sound chip, that offers comparable sound to the Live!
-----------------------------

Would that be the same chip that is included in Asus motherboards, such as my A7A266?

thanks

Topher Bear

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good link. There was a leaked power point presentation on the web a while ago, but not much info.

About time Creative came out with a new sound card. They've been concentrating too heavily on the MP3 market and whatnot. They're losing market share really fast.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know for sure which CMI chip it is, I had a card come through my shop that had the chip on it, it sounded as good as my Live, but I simply installed the card and sent it out. Probably the same chip, but who knows, I can't remember all those number names. What I can tell you is that sometimes soundcards work better than onboard sound, even if the chip is the same, because they have more stuff on them, such a cache. I know they exist simply because I had one, if you need to know the model I suggest you search far and wide in soundcard reviews.
Oh, and as far as ESS goes-I have not seen an ESS chip from the past two years that would not perform as well as the Live. Try the Diamond MX400 for an example of ESS sound quality, or any card with the Canyon3D chip (no, I can't remeber the number for that one either).

Video killed my Radio Card!

You would think in this day and age all mobo manufacturers would automatically offer optional sound and/or graphics on board.

Or should I say:
OEM = sound & graphics
Retail = None.

This would suit all users.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Someone mentioned that a few posts up in the thread, but thanks anyway (seriously).

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>