New DoS Tool Kills SSL Servers With Just One PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
"The software is available as a free download for Windows and Unix. Before you download it and use it, keep in mind that using the software will most likely be considered a criminal act."

I am not going to even click on the link. Reminds me of Sony's mess when they tried to get the web hosting company to turn over the IPs of those who downloaded the source code. It's asking for trouble.

Why even make it available for folks do stupid things with and create a libability to Tom's?

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]"The software is available as a free download for Windows and Unix. Before you download it and use it, keep in mind that using the software will most likely be considered a criminal act."I am not going to even click on the link. Reminds me of Sony's mess when they tried to get the web hosting company to turn over the IPs of those who downloaded the source code. It's asking for trouble.Why even make it available for folks do stupid things with and create a libability to Tom's?[/citation]

I bet you are scared to read Mein Kampf because you think you may be accused of being a Nazi and part of concentration camps during WW2.

There is no danger in reading source code, unless that source code was copyrighted and then stolen. This code is open source, for those who want to learn about what vulnerabilities exist in current services that the majority of people who use the Internet rely on. Just don't compile and then run it against a server you don't own/ have explicit, written/signed consent to do so.

Note however that many SSL servers do limit single IP simultaneous connections, and also many servers disable renegotiation (so you have to reconnect each time) and luckily many SSL servers also have a long reconnect timeout ;) So in many cases this script won't work.... But then again, there are those servers that don't.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]rozz[/nom]Tom's Hardware just became any noob hacker's dream..[/citation]
Is a noob hacker worse than a script kiddie?

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Why the F would Tom's post a link to illegal software in their news ticker?[/citation]
Because it is just a link.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]rozz[/nom]Tom's Hardware just became any noob hacker's dream..[/citation]

Tom's doesn't use SSL ... it's complete unencrypted ... take a look at your address bar in you browser.

This so called SSL DoS attack is pretty lame at best. Most SSL servers don't have SSL renegotiation enabled, and those that do have a retry limit. Once again the Germans come up short, just like they did in WWII.

Just more hackers trying to get attention to a ton of work they did that is for the most part is NOT successful with any reasonably good SSL server.

Love how these lame hackers use "Fishy Security" -- is that technical term??? Hahaha ROFL

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Why the F would Tom's post a link to illegal software in their news ticker?[/citation]

Probably because Tom's is owned by Bestofmedia Group (HQ is in Los Angeles CA), with CEO Antoine Boulin (French native). Tom Pabst the original creator of Tom's Hardware (back when it had a good reputation for solid unbiased information) was a German doctor -- perhaps that's why Tom's is publishing this link.

But the more likely reason for publishing this article is much more simple ... hit count, pays the bills.

I'm sure my post will get deleted even though it violates no "terms of use".

nothing illegal about this software, just how you use it. It is a tool; a knife if you will. In the hands of one person it is a tool for illegal purposes, in the hands of another it is a tool for more constructive means (like patching security holes, and prompting people to invent better measures of security).

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]nothing illegal about this software, just how you use it. It is a tool; a knife if you will. In the hands of one person it is a tool for illegal purposes, in the hands of another it is a tool for more constructive means (like patching security holes, and prompting people to invent better measures of security).[/citation]

agree

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Cool, does this tool work on Apple's server?[/citation]

Aah the ignorant Windows fan boy/girl ... read up on how SSL works and then you'll understand why your question makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.