New Drive labeled "Diag" appeared out of nowhere

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
So I haven't gotten a chance to do any troubleshooting myself yet, but my girlfriend just told me that she has a new harddrive listed called "Diag" as her J drive, totally out of nowhere. All that is in it is an empty folder called "PRELOAD."

Any idea what that's all about?

Thanks

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
yea my searches have come up completely empty as well. i've got malwarebytes doing a full scan right now of all of her drives... probably take a million hours because she's a photographer and has multiple terabytes of storage haha... then i'll continue from there...

Hi

Look in Disk Management to confirm location and size of mysterious drive
To confirm it is a real partition or some sort of driver or virtual drive

Depending on hard drive size I would expect a number of small partitions
For diagnostics , recovery and gpt partitions as well as the main partitions

Possibly the system crashed, did a automated system recovery then a hidden diagnostic partition became visible

I have the opposite occur a visible d: drive letter containing system recovery files vanished after runnining the program to build a set of recovery disks dvd's

The Dell user guide may have details on what partitions should exist on the hard drive

Finally are there drive letters c d e f g h I & j or is there a gap between last drive letter and j: ?

Regards
Mike Barnes

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
OK so malwarebytes found nothing on the full scan.

Before I reboot, checking disc management shows my disc 0 being my D: (a big internal ). Disc 1 is 6 partitions but only one with a drive letter c: (it's my os drive and the other partitions all sound like recovery and system related). Then E: is my dvd drive. F:, g:, and i: are all externals. H: is an SD card reader. And that's it. J: doesn't appear.

Also some more details. J: is called DIAGS, has 35.9mb free of 36mb. And all that is in it is an empty folder called PRELOAD.

Gonna run a virus scan now and then reboot and see what happens.

Oh and one more thing. In case I wasn't clear before, this is new. I was out of town for a few days but I do all the support on her computer and last week on back to when she got the computer there was not a 36mb extra drive called DIAGS. So it's not like it's just how Dell partitions their recovery software or anything like that...

Thanks

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
So after both Virus Scan and malwarebytes found nothing, I rebooted... And it's gone. So I guess it was just some weird oddity, I don't know... If it ever comes back, you guys will be the first to know :) Haha

don h j

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

I have had this same drive appear on my DEL XPS 8700, appeared first a few weeks ago after searching and finally rebooting disappeared. Since have upgraded from W8.1 to W10 and today DIAGS re-appeared. Have you found a resolution?

woodennickel

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I too have the Del xps 8700 and I too suddenly have this new drive that mysteriously appeared. It actually pushed its way in, renamed my other drives -- J, K, L etc.... so I am having to remap items.... wish I new what it was... (same size 36mb)