Question New drive not detected

Feb 12, 2019
Ok currently I have 4 drives in my system, a 500gb ssd and 3x3tb hdd in raid I have a "hot swap" bay on the front of my case with the ssd so i can change the boot drive so i can experiment with other operating system mainly windows server, but when i put any drive in other that the 500gb ssd with windows 10 it does not detect it even in the bios. Any suggestions would be helpful and i have tried a bios update.

Feb 12, 2019
if it was an M.2 drive then that would explain it because it would disable one or more SATA ports. i would check the cables again. failing that its a bad drive IMO
i dont have any m.2 drives installed and it is a brand new drive plus i tried 3-4 other known working drives, the cables are good quality and the system boots fine from the windows 10 ssd, the new ssd is blank

only the currently installed drive works in the machines i have used working drives from other machines that work and they did not appear either

then it may be a limit of how many drives can be used on your motherbord although i don't sdee that possibility if you have enough SATA ports or your power supply isn't powerful enough to handle all of them. the best way to find out is to disconnect all the drives and have only your new 500GB SSD connected and check the BIOS

Feb 12, 2019
then it may be a limit of how many drives can be used on your motherbord although i don't sdee that possibility if you have enough SATA ports or your power supply isn't powerful enough to handle all of them. the best way to find out is to disconnect all the drives and have only your new 500GB SSD connected and check the BIOS
i have 6 sata ports a good psu i cant uninstall 3 of the drives as they are a raid array and i managed to get a 3.5 inch drive to work along side the current ssd and just the 3.5 plus the raid array

Feb 12, 2019
Thank you all for your help, I have found the problem, I have a 2 bay hot swap adapter 2.5 and 3.5 the 2.5 was the only one I was concerned with but as it turns out it was a loose sata cable to the second bay for 3.5 drives, something so simple I forgot to check feel free to call me an idiot as i kinda feel like one now. Once again thank you all.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you all for your help, I have found the problem, I have a 2 bay hot swap adapter 2.5 and 3.5 the 2.5 was the only one I was concerned with but as it turns out it was a loose sata cable to the second bay for 3.5 drives, something so simple I forgot to check feel free to call me an idiot as i kinda feel like one now. Once again thank you all.

Now you see why the suggestion is a standard part of the troubleshooting!

Don't feel bad, though. I once could not figure out why I could not get one of my monitors to detect a PC after doing a few things. I swore to myself it wasn't a cable problem since I just used those cables! Then about an hour later, cursed myself with every expletive in the book after I realized that I forgot I had an extra, homeless DP cable on the back of my desk that I accidentally had used and that PC was actually connected to nothing.

Feb 12, 2019
Now you see why the suggestion is a standard part of the troubleshooting!

Don't feel bad, though. I once could not figure out why I could not get one of my monitors to detect a PC after doing a few things. I swore to myself it wasn't a cable problem since I just used those cables! Then about an hour later, cursed myself with every expletive in the book after I realized that I forgot I had an extra, homeless DP cable on the back of my desk that I accidentally had used and that PC was actually connected to nothing.
I thought the loose cable was the issue but it has since stopped working again I believe it's the hot swap adapter as bypassing it and having the ssd hanging out the side of my pc works just fine