Question New EVO 860 - are these speeds normal?

Jan 27, 2019
Installed a 1TB Samsung EVO 860 today. Cloned over the contents of my (nearly full) 500GB disk drive, so it is roughly half full to start with, and then changed the drive letters around and unplugged the old one. This is my alternate drive with files and programs only, my OS is on a separate SSD.

Did some speed tests in Samsung Magician and CrystalMark and both are coming back around 400MB/s read and write. Is this normal? The top amazon review is griping about poor speeds and quality control last year, and the drive marketing mateirals talk about 550 read / 520 write. However, sometimes real world figures vary so I am trying to figure out if my ~400/~395 is a decent 'real world' number or if it is a dud unit. I have write caching enabled, I have NOT turned on the rapid mode as I read elsewhere that it isn't of benefit for gaming etc. I have it hooked up to a SATA6gb port with a monoprice Sata6gb cable.

Thanks!

Crystal-Samsung-score.png

nick_v15

Prominent
BANNED
Jan 7, 2018
Just a tip.I have the same ssd as you.I run this benchmark with the standard AHCI controller.Then i switched to AMD SATA Controller and showed me almost 20% more speed.So if you tried this with a standard controller you might also wanna try it with your mobos sata controllers.

Jan 27, 2019
older 2012 rig. Just upgraded the GPU this week along with the SSD, moving it into 2019...

i5-3570k, 16gB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V
I have it plugged into the blue SATA 6G port :"ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : 2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77V/specifications/)

Though with the old drive now disconnected I could plug the SSD into the SATA 6Gb grey slot in case there is some Asus software getting in the way with this blue one

Jan 27, 2019
Ok I swapped sockets per Nick's suggestion, plugged it into the grey SATA6.0 one. Also changed to my Asus Sat6.0 cable instead of monoprice so not a true A/B comparison....but the result is good - speed now 562/533. Thanks for the tip!
Samsung-score-2.png